Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Icon A5 Request For Weight Increase Exemption Status

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Bill, you're being very polite by using the word "impolite" to describe Hawkins behavior. At the time(and still as I recall it) it felt more like you're nobody because you haven't bought one, so f**k you and don't come back until you're prepared to do so. Big ego meets arrogant, pompous prick. I think I'll go take a shower again.
    You mean you couldn't discern that from various interviews and promo videos?
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Bill, you're being very polite by using the word "impolite" to describe Hawkins behavior. At the time(and still as I recall it) it felt more like you're nobody because you haven't bought one, so f**k you and don't come back until you're prepared to do so. Big ego meets arrogant, pompous prick. I think I'll go take a shower again.
    Floatsflyer, Many years ago I had the same issue with the head of Cub Crafters. While at Oshkosh, I was asking about the new Carbon Cub (or Sport Cub) and was totally ingnored by the owner of the company. The way he treated me with total arrogance and disregard caused him to lose a sale. Yep, I bought something else the next day even though I felt what I really wanted was the CC. I wonder if these people with their pompous attitude realize how much money they are losing with their arrogant attitudes. I have the money to stillbuy a CC but I will not just due to the principle of that one short encounter.

Ok, back the the original topic.

Thanks for reply floats now i know why icon gave me the bird unless it involves money forget you.which is how a pyramid scam is built 1075 orders plus at $5000 with no deliverys they are probably driving around in the best cars with order money. But more serious my experience with composite materials such as carbon fibre,kevlar is that they dont like flexing movement as they crack and break now watch you tube again and even the camera mounted on the tail shakes crazy. The more i see the less i like and with no explanation from icon. Is the tail boom moving so many questions and without a $5000 deposit no answers

Thanks for interest but are you suggesting that manufacturers like Cessna piper beechcraft deliberately build movement in their tail assembly to warn of stall ? Not sure about that. I am more concerned that with flexing movement composite materials crack and break and with no response from icon when i asked about it. Just keep taking the money quick before they wakeup.

The tail shake is caused by air burbles. My Grob does the same thing. All airframes flex and move, but the smaller boom type aft fuselages are more flexible than a larger Cessna structure. And the combination of T- tail and small tailbooms will do this worse than a Cessna. ( Grob has a T- tail)

Also, I found the burble is much worse when I neglect to tape the wing/fuselage joint. Believe it or not, just a 1/16" gap will send these burbles to the tail and make it shake worse ( only at near stall) The Icon has wing fold, so it may have some wing gap in flight that creates these burbles at slow speed.

If you ever watch a KingAir 200 tail in a stall you'd never fly in one again. Same is true for a Tomahawk. I think tail buffeting is the least of I-Con's problems.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    If you ever watch a KingAir 200 tail in a stall you'd never fly in one again. Same is true for a Tomahawk. I think tail buffeting is the least of I-Con's problems.
    After watching and feeling the Tomahawk's (Traumahawk) tail that I was flying shaking when I stalled it, I decided that I didn't really want to fly a Tomahawk any more. I don't recall how many hours I have in a Tomahawk, but its enough. Must be one of the reasons why I don't see any Tomahawks flying today. Probably the only good thing about them was the cockpit visibility that let you see the tail whipping around in a stall.
    Last edited by Bill; 05-20-2013 at 09:23 PM.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    I think promoting an airplane as spin resistant at idle power is a complete joke.
    What good is spin resistance at idle power?
    Another issue with the spin resistant video is the rudder authority. The deflection of the rudder as shown in the video is very small. I would guess about 15 degrees. I asked them about crosswind landing speed with the small deflection in Oshkosh, but did not get an answer. I guess many airplanes would be spin resistant with the combination of idle power and small rudder deflection.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    The only info on icon i have is from the net are you saying there are other problems? Like what are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    The tail shake is caused by air burbles. My Grob does the same thing. All airframes flex and move, but the smaller boom type aft fuselages are more flexible than a larger Cessna structure. And the combination of T- tail and small tailbooms will do this worse than a Cessna. ( Grob has a T- tail)
    Also, I found the burble is much worse when I neglect to tape the wing/fuselage joint. Believe it or not, just a 1/16" gap will send these burbles to the tail and make it shake worse ( only at near stall) The Icon has wing fold, so it may have some wing gap in flight that creates these burbles at slow speed.
    Yes airframes flex but the structure is aluminium the a5 is composite and my experience is it cracks and breaks with flex.