Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Icon A5 Request For Weight Increase Exemption Status

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfalcons View Post
    oh thought I read 1510#. Well let's change that to.... it'll be a porky pig.
    It's just one dam job after another

Brian C.
    Sport Air Racing League http://www.sportairrace.org/
    Race 155

Well, I have say that I am surprised by the announcement. Now it's up to the market forces to determine if this design will be a success.

Quote Originally Posted by hydroguy2 View Post
    hydroguy2, you are correct. Icon stated today that the production A5 will have an MTOW of 1510 pounds. What they requested and what the FAA approved allowed them to go up to 1680 but Icon says for this version they won't need the entire exemption amount.

Quote Originally Posted by hydroguy2 View Post
    You read correctly. While waiting for the exemption, Icon went through a drastic weight reduction program, in case. So, the lightiest production airplanes are going to be only 80 lbs overweight. However, the exemption is granted to the original request of 1680 lbs, which leaves Icon with a headroom.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaJohn View Post
    Well, I have say that I am surprised by the announcement. Now it's up to the market forces to determine if this design will be a success.
    Yeah, I was a bit surprised as well. What had me believing they might get it was the length of time and the types of questions the FAA was asking in their follow up additional information request back in April. It just seemed like if they had no intention of approving the exemption then why wait this long and ask for so much more information nearly a year after the request had been made.

An interesting read on the thought process the FAA went through to arrive at its decision. The document attached in the following link for the A5 docket specifically addresses some of the concerns that have been raised in this discussion thread regarding competitive advantage, part 23 certification, removing other items to make the plane lighter, the folding wings, etc...

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documen...2012-0514-0136 then click on the link at the site to view the attached pdf document.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfalcons View Post
    Aside from its looks I'm trying to figure out where the leap forward in aviation exists with this plane.
    AccuFlex (tm) SafeSecure (tm) cup holders.

And a "smokeless" ashtray.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by kmhd1 View Post
    An interesting read on the thought process the FAA went through to arrive at its decision. The document attached in the following link for the A5 docket specifically addresses some of the concerns that have been raised in this discussion thread regarding competitive advantage, part 23 certification, removing other items to make the plane lighter, the folding wings, etc...

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documen...2012-0514-0136 then click on the link at the site to view the attached pdf document.
    Thanks for the link!

Interesting... the exemption is good for only five years. I expect this gives the FAA the ability to refuse to renew it if the claimed benefits don't manifest themselves.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Interesting... the exemption is good for only five years. I expect this gives the FAA the ability to refuse to renew it if the claimed benefits don't manifest themselves.
    So if 25% of the total accidents at the end of 5 yrs are stall/spin, would that indicate the weight exemption for "safety" is a failure?