Page 34 of 39 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Icon A5 Request For Weight Increase Exemption Status

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfalcons View Post
    Probably that the actual structure increase to meet spin resistance standards is about 80 pounds and not 250.
    You are right.Even if FAA would Deny the petition, ICON can still make A5 in the weight limit by giving up couple of none core functions. I believe so.

Those D round investors should be able to figure out the details during due diligence before putting in 60 Millions. To me, ICON team sounds like pretty professional on all of these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfalcons View Post
    Probably that the actual structure increase to meet spin resistance standards is about 80 pounds and not 250.
    Makes sense. Although I hope this doesn't mean they pulled the cup holders out of this updated design...

...and the fact that the FAA made the process such a nail-biting PITA will discourage other manufacturers from going the same route.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    ...and the fact that the FAA made the process such a nail-biting PITA will discourage other manufacturers from going the same route.
    Therefore, make this ICON weight exemption approval a lot more valuable. It has the potential to be another Tesla.

The difference with Tesla is that you can already buy a better airplane that weighs less: a SeaRey LSA (even if we concede that second seller of SeaMax is just as bad as the first), while you cannot buy a better Tesla for 2/3 price.

I think Light Sport Aviation was stabbed through the heart today. It may not die right away but it can't survive. Everybody else played by the rules, now the rules don't mean anything. As I recall Cessna 150/152s are only about 100 pounds over the LSA limits, why not exempt all of them? Icon is way too top heavy to survive, they can't possibly absorb the overhead cost they have already incurred let alone the cost of capital. They don't set the market price, the market does and the market leader is SeaRey who is lean and viable, been around for a long time and will be around long after Icon is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglerhythm View Post
    Therefore, make this ICON weight exemption approval a lot more valuable. It has the potential to be another Tesla.
    I'm not sure I understand the revolutionary aspect of the ICON. It's a two seat amphib that cruises at 100 knots and has an average at best power to weight ratio. It's also going to cost 200K. Aside from its looks I'm trying to figure out where the leap forward in aviation exists with this plane.
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction

1500# with a Rotax....that thing is going to be a dog.
    It's just one dam job after another

Brian C.
    Sport Air Racing League http://www.sportairrace.org/
    Race 155

Quote Originally Posted by hydroguy2 View Post
    1500# with a Rotax....that thing is going to be a dog.
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction