Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Early Fly-In Arrival for AirVenture 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Halloran View Post
    I fly in the Thursday before the show (before the restrictions start)---usually file IFR--needed it last year (900 foot ceilings)---and the flood 3 years ago when it was raining so hard the tower could not see me after I landed.
    I love Oshkosh a few days before the show starts--lots of energy in the air--fun watching the formation groups come in. Displays being put up, etc.
    We have also started flying up in May for the first work weekend---One of my friends comes from California--we then fly non stop to Oshkosh in my Bonanza from Oklahoma--I KNOW--its stupid and costs a lot in gas to just come up so they can work us like dogs on the grounds of Airventure--but damn--its just a lot of fun !!!!!
    2013 will be my 18th straight year for attending
    Kevin

That's not stupid. 2 years ago, IIRC, my niece was getting married the weekend we go to OSH. So, my brother & I took my 5th wheel up, and parked it at Sleepy Hollow the weekend before so we could drive throught the night after the wedding in Clinton.
    Turned out to be a very good thing, because the week it was sitting there, it rained ALL week. (Sloshkosh)

I came in IFR last year (Wednesday before the show IIRC). It was the first time I'd ever done that. Long about Milwaukee I realized that OSH was 900 OVC and asked Milwaukee if we could get a popup (we were receiving flight following/class C services). After confirming I was instrument rated and equipped I got cleared and eventually vectors to the RNAV 9 approach.

The hardest part about going in IFR is getting the slot reservation--got mine last year at the last minute, about 5:30 a.m., after trying for a couple of days.

But VFR isn't hard, either, unless the weather is down. It's handy if you have a passenger who can look out for traffic, but I've gone in several times alone--just keep your head on a swivel! READ THE CURRENT NOTAM--it changes from year to year. It hasn't been published yet for 2013, but it will be soon. Download it and print it out, and be sure to have it with you, even if you've memorized it--there's a lot there. There are always those who don't read the NOTAM, don't know what they're doing, don't follow the rules, haven't practiced and cause a bit of glitches, but they're in the minority. Mostly it runs really, really well, due to the expertise of the controllers, who do a truly marvelous job.

Always go in with plenty of fuel--you don't know if you're going to have to hold over Green Lake or not. I've gone in several times with no holding, and once had to hold for nearly an hour. My last hold was for no more than 10 minutes--about one circuit around the lake was all. I have heard of people running low, but there's no excuse for that.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee