Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FIFI needs help!

Exclamation FIFI needs help!

I came across this on Facebook:http://www.keepfififlying.org/
    I am not affiliated with the CAF or FIFI, but just passing along the info as I want to see this incredible piece of history be able to continue to fly.
    Last edited by John Leidel; 11-16-2012 at 08:15 PM. Reason: spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by John Leidel View Post
    I came across this on Facebook:http://www.keepfififlying.org/
    I am not affiliated with the CAF or FIFI, but just passing along the info as I want to see this incredible piece of history be able to continue to fly.
    Was that not the bird that caught on fire and went down in a corn field in Illinois last year or was it the year before, I can not remember.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Was that not the bird that caught on fire and went down in a corn field in Illinois last year or was it the year before, I can not remember.
    I think I might have this confused with another bird....help me out here guys and gals...I know we lost one of our rare birds in a fire not long ago in a field in Illinois somewhere.
    Anyone else remember this?

You do...that was a B-17, not a B-29.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I think I might have this confused with another bird....help me out here guys and gals...I know we lost one of our rare birds in a fire not long ago in a field in Illinois somewhere.
    Anyone else remember this?
    1600vw, that was the B-17G "Liberty Belle". I am upset that it had burned up. It was in the markings of my Dad's unit the 390th Bomb Group, 570th Squadron. My dad likely loaded the bombs and bullets on the original Liberty Belle. Right now the Liberty Foundation is continuing tours with the movie B-17F (actually G) Memphis Belle to continue their mission. Word is that they are rebuilding Liberty Belle with parts from a B-17 they rescued from a lake in Canada. That airframe was originally going to be the Liberty Belle until they found the airframe they used. It was the B-17 you see pictures of with the turbo-prop test engine built into the nose. I had the privilege of flying in Aluminum Overcast a few years ago, I hope to be able to fly in the new Liberty Belle some day.
    Last edited by John Leidel; 11-17-2012 at 01:47 PM.

I'm guessing that your dad is the Robert C. Leidel listed in the records of the 390th Memorial Museum here in Tucson as a member of the 570th.
    Bill

Bill, that is correct. Are you with the museum? I recently joined the 390th Memorial Museum. I would love to get down there someday to see everything.

John, I'm not with the 390th Memorial Museum, but am a member of the Pima Air and Space Museum where the 390th museum is located and visit frequently. They have a wall with signatures of former airmen of the 390th. Perhaps your dad's signature is there. When I'm at Pima Air and Space, I usually pay a visit to the 390th because of its importance and because I always learn something new. Forty years after WWII, I was a member of 8th Air Force and the history of their sacrifices during the war has continued to inspire me.

You owe it to yourself to see the 390th in person for the memorabilia and history preserved there. Plus, Pima Air and Space, and a tour of the Boneyard are fascinating in their own right. I take the Boneyard tour occasionally to see some of my squadron's actual airframes (or what's left of them) from the old days.
    Bill

Fifi is the CAF owned B-29 and the only flying one left in the world. It was at Oskosh this year.
    In the past , there have been major problems with the engines. Gary led the conversion of the ones in Fifi to a different mod, and it seemed better, but now problems have arisen again.

FiFi has had her engined replaced. She's been flown from Midland where repairs were made, back to her home base in Addison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOLKbvZeL1c