Thread: Caulking / Sealant Material

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Caulking / Sealant Material

Any recommendations for a sealant / caulking material that is paintable, non-acidic (so no corrosion properties) to be used on aluminum skins (not in engine compartment) - ie. butt joints or overlapping skins. I know ProSeal has been used - is there another product similiar to bathtub caulking that comes in tubes ?? Many thanks !!! Garey Wittich Santa Monica, CA

Check out DOW 732 silicone, we used it for everything in food processing, i know it can be painted, pretty sure it is non acidic, it is almost as strong as construction adhesive. We used to put safety signs on the walls with it at Kraft in champaign, if you wanted to move the sign half the time the food grade ceramic tile would come off with the sign

I caulked all my windows in my shop with it

if you cant get it local check out mcmaster.com - just dont buy a whole case if you wont use it it will harden in the tube over time

What are you sealing the joints for? Water? Fuel? Proseal (polysulfide) is a fuel tank sealant.
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Witherspoon View Post
    What are you sealing the joints for? Water? Fuel? Proseal (polysulfide) is a fuel tank sealant.
    Good question - if he is sealing from fuel the DOW 732 won't work so good, they have another one for that

Caulking / Sealing Material

My QUESTION is for recommendation of a Caulking / Sealing Material that is "paintable', "non-corrosive" (non-acidic) to seal against water and avgas from penetrating aluminum "butt joints" and "overlapping" skins - ie. exterior fuselage and wing skins (NOT for fuel tank sealing). Many thanks, Garey Wittich Santa Monica, CA

Try Dow Alex. It's a silicone/latex blend which can be painted.
    http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?product_id=1
    Bob H