Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ooh dear.. Rideshare plans fallen through tragically...:(

Sad Ooh dear.. Rideshare plans fallen through tragically...:(

Hi everyone,
    As I've mentioned in previous posts I am planning on making the trip from New Zealand to Oshkosh in 2013. I was fortunate that through the EAA rideshare board I was offered I ride from Dallas Tx up to Oshkosh, and it turned out that this would be ideal as far as air line connections go as I was planning on spending 3 weeks in England visiting relatives before coming to the US. On sorting out a workable schedule I have booked my airfares to come over. Unfortunately I have just been advised that the chap who offered me the ride was killed last month in an Ultralite accident, which is terribly sad as he seemed like a great bloke. I now have the problem of sorting out replacement plans to get to Oshkosh whilst I can still transfer my existing airline bookings.
    Currently I arrive in Dallas on Wednesday 30th July and depart from there back to NZ on 5th August. I have limited flexibility with dates as I have booked leave from my employment, but I could transfer my flights to other locations. I deparately need to sort something out soon or I'll have to scrub the Oshkosh plans and lose my airfares. Is anyone able to offer me a flight in to Oshkosh on similar dates? Unfortunately I received no other responses to the Rideshare post. I know its still more than 6 months away, but thats what I need to book leave and get decent Air fares!
    "If it was supposed to be easy, everybody would be doing it...."

Proud designer / builder of Avian Adventurer ZK-CKE.

Hi,

Just a couple of thoughts, others on here may have better ideas. Maybe change your plans and fly into Chicago, that way you could rent a car and drive, if need be. Better yet, just fly Chicago to Appleton, Wi. and you'll only be 20 minutes from Oshkosh. If that works out for you, I'll be glad to pick you up in the car and drive you to Airventure. Also, your dates might be better for the folks flying in. If there are not coming for the entire week, seems like guys would come for the open and leave Wed or come midweek and leave Sunday. If you can stay the week, there are plenty of things to see and do the 26th or 27th and quite a few aircraft fly in those days and leave on Aug 4th. Hope this helps.

The couple hour drive from ORD will save you significantly on car rental. Car rental prices near OSH during Airventure are extremely overpriced due to the demand.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

If there is a flight into Milwaukee, then you will be quite a bit closer to EAA. Milwaukee is north of Chicago and 90 miles from EAA. I think there is bus service to Osh from Mil also, if you don't need a rental car at EAA.

I have been talking to my travel agent and running a few options and it looks like Appleton will be the way to go - the way it works, I can get in to Oshkosh a day earlier than planned, which is always good! theres even a big Mall near the airport where I can grab some camping gear!
    I'm not keen on getting a rental car for just a short trip, for some reason all you Americans drive on the wrong side of the road!
    I'll see whether any other offers come up in the next week (Flying in would still be the most attractive option!) but failing that I still have means of getting there! Will just have to see how it all works out....
    "If it was supposed to be easy, everybody would be doing it...."

Proud designer / builder of Avian Adventurer ZK-CKE.

A bus runs from Appleton to Oshkosh during that week. Details somewhere on the AV website.

Driving on the "wrong" side of the road is very straight forward here, I doubt you'd have a problem with it, and having a car gives you much greater flexibility. Usually the problem of being on the wrong side of the road kicks in about 2 or 3 weeks after you get home again....

Quote Originally Posted by Janet Davidson View Post
    Driving on the "wrong" side of the road is very straight forward here, I doubt you'd have a problem with it, and having a car gives you much greater flexibility. Usually the problem of being on the wrong side of the road kicks in about 2 or 3 weeks after you get home again....
    It's usually more of a problem if you're a pedestrian and forget to look both ways. Speaking from my own experience when younger....
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi ZK-CKE View Post
    I have been talking to my travel agent and running a few options and it looks like Appleton will be the way to go - the way it works, I can get in to Oshkosh a day earlier than planned, which is always good! theres even a big Mall near the airport where I can grab some camping gear!
    I'm not keen on getting a rental car for just a short trip, for some reason all you Americans drive on the wrong side of the road!
    I'll see whether any other offers come up in the next week (Flying in would still be the most attractive option!) but failing that I still have means of getting there! Will just have to see how it all works out....
    Depending on your budget, there are several places that rent and deliver travel trailers to the campgrounds. Usually they go for about $1,000-$1,500 depending on the size and amenities.

You may also want to take a look at the college dorms. The available rooms aren't air conditioned. They do run a shuttle to the grounds for $1.50 each way. The cafeteria serves good food for both breakfast and dinner.

With that said, I truly enjoy staying at Camp Scholler. I've been camping with the same group of RV-10 builders for years. Guaranteed that you'll find some new folks that will be long term friends.

Buying camping gear locally is hit or miss. As you might suspect, there are many like you flying in with the same strategy. I believe there is a Gander Mountian store about 30-40 minutes south of OSH too. That's a mega-store camping chain in the US.

You may want to check the web site about sending shipments. You may be able to order of the Internet and ship to OSH. Although I can think of several risks to that approach.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi ZK-CKE View Post
    NO need to buy camping gear.I have a tent you can use etc etc drop me a line.I live 5 blocks from the airfield. Ex Pat from Bolton Drop me a PM if intrested.Push comes to shove camp in our back yard..

Jeez Bruce, I feel like I'm stalking you!! Everywhere I look to sort out my own plans, you've been already!!