Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Idiot Sherriff Arrests 70 Year Old Glider Pilot......For Just Flying

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    On a more humorous note, do they still broadcast re-runs of Mayberry? Do the younger readers here know how many bullets Sheriff Andy let Deputy Barney carry?

Fly safe,

Wes
    N78PS
    Wes yes they still show this program...Andy sometimes took that bullet from Barney he did not always let him carry it. Where did he carry it?

Barney was allowed to carry one bullet in his shirt pocket. I only recall a very few episodes where Barney was allowed to load it into his revolver.

Regards,

Wes
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by Curiousflyer View Post
    I can't locate the clarification quoted by Sarah Brown, author of the AOPA article titled "Secret No Fly Zone" on the SSA website.
    I see you found the SSA clarification.

While it looks like glider pilot Robin Flemming may have been "ok" with regard to NOTAM 4/0811 (assuming the quoted FAA interpretation allegedly posted on the SSA website exists, and is not misquoted either on the SSA website or by Ms. Brown), that he may still have a problem with FAR 91.119. We all know that flight above "congested" areas must be at least 1,000 feet AGL. Flemmings on board flight recorder reported his MSL altitude as 1,518 while he was above the power plant with a charted maximum elevation of 577' MSL (an AGL height of just 941'). Flemming has admitted (a) that he knew he was over the power plant; and (b) that his "lowest altitude" while over the power plant was less than the FAR 91.119 minimum.
    It's been my experience that the FAA won't pursue a 91.119 violation unless a) they witness the event; and b) the aircraft truly presents a hazard to persons or property on the ground. I don't think that's the case here.