Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 32 Years For Me

32 Years For Me

I was cleaning up some paperwork, ( I would be out skiing or flying, but my knee is sore, and I am flying later) as in my New Year's resolution and came across one of the EAA request to join from last year.

It shows my starting date as Jan. 1982, and so I am beginning my 33 year with EAA.

Man, how time flies when you are flying!

I must have been a child prodigy and started flying at 6 years old since like ZSA ZSA sp?, I am still 39.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 01-09-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Good for you Bill. I'll buy you an ice cream during the next Airventure, if I ever meet you, or figure out who you are? It should be easy to find you though. You'll prolly be the guy with the EAA hat/T-shirt on?
    plans building a Sonex!!

Congratulations, Bill! All I can say is I should have thought about this more seriously when I was a youngster as well.

David

David and all others, you are always a youngster if you are young at heart and mind. I don't care what you want to do, whether it is learn to fly or speak another language, or play golf, ( by the way, golf is hard and not as fun as flying or skiing so why waste time on it), just get started and go do it.

Find a CFI and call him up and say, "By the way, you aren't good enough to teach an older student are you?"

My join date is January 1969, and yes, I am slightly older than 39.
    Bill, I don't think I would recognize you but I sure would recognize your plane, it's the Mk. IXc if you are who I think you are.

Congrats Bill,

I joined EAA in 1990 and just got my 20 year pin from AOPA last month. Time flies when your having fun! I wouldn't have gone after my PPL if I hadn't joined EAA...Happy Flying and stay safe.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe LaMantia View Post
    Congrats Bill,

I joined EAA in 1990 and just got my 20 year pin from AOPA last month. Time flies when your having fun! I wouldn't have gone after my PPL if I hadn't joined EAA...Happy Flying and stay safe.

Joe
    Now that's encouraging! I haven't started my lessons, but I did join EAA. Perhaps there's a message there?

David

David,

Here's my message, hang around airports, meet pilots of all kinds, check out several local EAA chapters and see if you can meet guys in your situation. A network helps find lower cost options and good instructors. Put a plan together to get started on the path to a license. Sport Pilot is a good way to start if available in your area. You can get a head start by picking up a set of books, like the red ones offered by Gleim. Also consider video courses offered by Sporty's or King they're both good. Your local library may have some basic introduction to flying books available, all you need is a library card. The best part about getting the license is the satisfaction you'll get as you put in the effort. Many of us describe our flying as taking a "mental health day". You will discover why we say this after you solo and are flying short cross-countries by yourself. Your never to old to start. I turned 50 in May of 1993 and passed my Private Pilot check ride a week after my birthday. I've had 20 years of fun, and never had 2 flights that were the same, always learn something even if it's just a twist on something I've experienced before.

Embrace the Challenge!

Joe

Thanks for your thoughtful post, Joe! I've listed my business for sale and when that happens, I'll be free to pursue the ceritifcation. As far as your suggestions go, I've already done many of them. I've purchased a couple of DVDs and several publications to try to be as prepared as I can be to start the hands on stuff. I will at least have an idea as to what's coming and be a couple steps ahead as far as studying for the written test. I've also enjoyed this forum reading all the fun stuff that I have to look forward to.

Also, I've been exposed to the what happens when things go wrong. I cite the thread I started when I saw that video from AOPA about the crash in Illinois. I watched it several times sorting through what had happened. Then I posted it here and things that went through my mind were reinforced by veteran pilots. I read the brief accident reports in Flying and Plane & Pilot. I know that without having any experience in the left seat, I don't know the sensations and maybe the reasons for making bad decisions. However, I'm not sure why it is that ANYONE that takes off makes a bad decision in the first place since gravity is very indiscriminate. What I've found in reading the reports is that it is overwhelmingly pilot error.

One other thing...one of the best/worst things I've done (note the best/worst reference) was visiting a local FBO which is owned by one of my customers. Going through the hangars and seeing a lot of what I read about, Cessnas, Bonanzas, Cirrus, etc., just made it worst...or better. And to top it off, a Pilatus taxied up and a G4 was taxiing out while I was there. Certainly airplanes that I'll never pilot, but it was fun just watching the action.

Sorry I got so wordy. Bad habit. Thanks again for taking the time to voice your opinion!

David

David, I like your attitude. Can't wait for the progress reports as you make your way towards a PPL. You will be a very safe pilot - I'd fly with you any day....
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania