Quote Originally Posted by Bob Collins View Post
Can someone point me to instructions on the proper safety wiring of worm clamps? There's nothing in AC43.13 that I can find.
Hi Bob

There are 2 quite different purposes in safety wiring worm clamps.

The first as the link in Marty's post shows is to safety wire the bolt so it doesn't come undone and the other is to capture the clamp in the event that it comes off either due to coming undone itself or shrinking of the material it is clamping.

So it depends on the purpose of your question.

As Marty has covered the first I'll do the second.

The main concen with the clamp coming adrift is it falling onto something that can cause damage. Perhaps because they have a background of engines being mounted in pusher configurations some Rotax people safety wire the clamps to stop them going through the prop. I know of no specific methodology as the clamps vary so much with the manufacturer but I basically just use common sense, for the clamp holding the aircleaner I find a hole in the clamp, usually through the screw mechanism somewhere which I can pass the wire through, or if there's a waist, just tightly wrapped around the screw housing and then run it back to the carb which has an ear for the aircleaner safety wire, twist up with minimum slack.

Hope this helps.

Mark