Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety wiring worm clamps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Safety wiring worm clamps

Can someone point me to instructions on the proper safety wiring of worm clamps? There's nothing in AC43.13 that I can find.

Might that be because safety wire is not required? Worm clamps have tremendous mechanical advantage and I have never seen one safety wired on a general aviation aircraft.

What is being secured by the subject worm clamp?

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

I figure someone would have figured out a need and method, so I searched Google:

http://avidflyer.wikia.com/wiki/Safe...m_Drive_Clamps

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Collins View Post
    Can someone point me to instructions on the proper safety wiring of worm clamps? There's nothing in AC43.13 that I can find.
    I worried about the same thing. But I worry about everything. So I installed some anti-tamper paint that comes in a tube. I have yet seen one turn or loosen up. After I did this, I would take off then land, get out and check the clamps. After about 1 hour of doing this I called it good to go. In 45 hrs flying this summer I never had one loosen. It was easy to check with the paint on them.

Everytime I look at the paint I think..saftey wire those, but then I don't. I guess I have never seen one loosen. I bet the first time I do I will be safety wiring these. I have these clamps on the rubber for the intake tubes.

I never replaced those rubbers and no matter how tight you tried to get those clamps the rubber would slide right off the tube. I had it happen on takeoff. Engine never died but it was a scary time for sure. I replaced all rubbers and propblem solved. I also replaced all worm drive clamps with new. I will reuse them once maybe twice then they get replaced.

How I do it..

H.A.S.

I check all of the ones in the engine compartment at oil change, and any others I can get to during annual. I have found a couple on the intake tubes a bit loose, probably from vibration or the rubber shrinking.

When building my hotrod I used hoses and ends that used no clamps. Once the hose was installed it would never leak. They cost alot but seemed well worth the money. I did this for the looks. I won 3 first place trophies with this truck. One was at the Nationals.

I thought if I ever fly a plane I will use these. I have not changed my oil lines out yet but they are getting replaced with this style hose and ends. I picked mine up at a Hotrod shop that is where I will buy them again.

What brand hose ends are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    What brand hose ends are you using?
    I will go into the hotrod shop and get some pics of these. I will try and do this tomorrow. They are pricey but worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    When building my hotrod I used hoses and ends that used no clamps. Once the hose was installed it would never leak. They cost alot but seemed well worth the money. I did this for the looks. I won 3 first place trophies with this truck. One was at the Nationals.

I thought if I ever fly a plane I will use these. I have not changed my oil lines out yet but they are getting replaced with this style hose and ends. I picked mine up at a Hotrod shop that is where I will buy them again.
    Here is a short video of this truck. This video is kinda shakey. I had a broken back and it was hard to walk, hold my cane and film. I am not sure if you cans see these lines. They are blue with red ends. I built this truck in 3 months, I hung the body from the rafters in that garage. The day they let me out of the hospital I was out in the shop working on my truck. Screaming from pain but with a big smile on my face. I do miss that truck. I sold it for the parts I had in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRhDrt87ojY

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    I have found a couple on the intake tubes a bit loose, probably from vibration or the rubber shrinking.
    That is correct, the material can cold flow making the clamp seem loose even though the screw has not moved.