Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Post, Trying to find high school teachers who have a build an airplane class

Jim Jackson moved to Idaho and still has the Lancair.

cub builder, Brett Steffen, nrpetersen, Bill Greenwood, and wltrmtty, Thank you--I have a lot more leads and a better focus. Brett, if you could put that information together it would be appreciated. What I would find helpful: list of people/schools who are building airplanes. Criteria needed for someone who is going to do such a project. (Classes, certifications, licenses?). Various build options. Ideas for grant requests--how much money, and for what, approximately... Definitely pitfalls to watch for, safety and liability issues.

http://www.alaskajournal.com/Alaska-...s-an-airplane/
    This is the last one I was involved with. One of our EAA members passed away and left the chapter her project. There were a bunch of people involved from the FAA, the 99s, and the EAA to make this happen, but the project was donated to a middle school in Anchorage, AK. We crated it up, and one of the folks up there found a trucking company that donated the space on board their truck, so picked it up here in NM, hauled it to their shipping center in Houston, then trucked it to Anchorage free of charge.

-CubBuilder

Sorry I could not find the name and phone no of the man at Aspen High School, I am out of town for a few days. He said the programs in N M were very successful, kids had to qualify by keeping their grades up, and got to fly and I think got licenced. It was not just a theory course or even a shop course.
    I think there may have been some state or federal grants and funding for some of the lower income kids. I believe they have a sponsor for the plane this year in Aspen.
    His son was a star player on the basketball team last year.

I teach 7 & 8 graders biology and general physics in Washington state. My exploratory is a Career and Technical Education class called Physics of Flight. We study aerodynamics and are building a Pietenpol and and newly acquired Sonex Onex. My advice is just get your program going and the details will work themselves out as you go. People will constantly be asking you, "How can you build an airplane in school?" That 's because they let the small stuff prevent them from getting started. I have no shop, no storage space, and I'm working with hormone-laced human larvae-and I love it! You can get a hold of me at scott.cutler@tumwater.k12.wa.us
    Have fun!

Everyone and Scott Cutler, Thank you! Very exciting! I am refreshed in my belief. If middle school students can do this surely high school students can. A lot of great leads, I have been adding to my "build an airplane" page. Your ideas. Will email Scott immediately. It sounds like you have done the impossible.

Wow thanks!

Davene,

You MUST contact a fine gentleman named Don Roberts located in Noblesville Indiana (317) 773-0436. Don is now retired but for more than thiry years worked as an industrial arts teacher for the Noblesville School System. During all of those years Don had students build many, many aircraft. They built a flying SBD Duntless, Mead Primary glider, more the half a dozen restorations and while I was a student of his we built a 3/4 scale Japanese A6M5 powered with a Continental O-200. Don is a great man a was very insturmental in keeping a lot of kids out of trouble with his programs. I am 42 now and own/operate my own aircraft maintenance shop in Leesburg FL, I am a pilot and also President of EAA Chapter 534 and I can tell you with the most powerful conviction that my success in aviation and in life was greatly influenced by Mr. Roberts. If you want to teach this stuff to kids, you must talk with him.

Arnold Holmes

Eagles Nest is a high school program for credit at the Jennings County High School in North Vernon, IN. In the program high school students built an RV-12 at the high school and the nearby KOVO airport. Bob Kelly is the sponsor and facilitator. He is not a teacher but he is a pilot and has built an RV with a partner. Their website is:
    www.mtkitlog.com/bobkelly EAA Chapter 1328 has assisted in this project as has Vans. The EAA AirVenture DVD for 2012 has a video segment featuring the Eagles Nest project. Eagles Nest is beginning to have a nationwide impact. You will find bob Kelly to be a very gracious and helpful person to assist you in your goal.