Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Post, Trying to find high school teachers who have a build an airplane class

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb First Post, Trying to find high school teachers who have a build an airplane class

I apologize but I just spent last half hour/hour trying to find answer and have finally given up.

I want to teach math and science STEM while students build an airplane. I thought this was doable--but not so sure.

Need ideas, steps, advice to begin. I teach at an adult high school attached to a technical center with welding, HVAC, electrical, carpentry, auto building, etc. Have permission to put this together, told if I get money, I will get a space. Have not built an airplane, do not have pilot's license. Am certified in the state of FL to teach Physics, Chemistry, Math 6-12, Biology, Health, Earth/Space, Technology Education, Health, and Art. Putting together a glog to pool my thoughts and progress. Please advise--do I take a class? Have you done this? Member of EAA, AIAA, CAP--will check their sites also. http://tehescmarts.edu.glogster.com/build-an-airplane/ I am in Pensacola and there is an aviation academy at a local high school but they do not build an airplane. I think this is an exciting and motivating idea.

Joined local EAA and they are the best. One member suggested I get in contact with "national".

Thank you for any help. If this is the wrong place to post this--please point me to the right place.

Davene Meehan
    http://tehescmarts.edu.glogster.com/glogs/

A number of years ago, Ben Millspaugh started a program at Littleton, Colorado High School where the students built a Fisher FP 404. The airplane was displayed at OSH in in 1990 and 1991. I believe his program was copied and used at other high schools as well. Perhaps he is still around and you can get in touch with him for guidance. Good luck, I'll check out your site.

I can't remember his name, but there was the teacher in Mundelein, IL whose classes built a plane that, IIRC, went around the world. I believe the plane's on display at the museum in Oshkosh.

ETA: Google is your friend:

http://www.airspacemag.com/flight-today/shop-class.html
    Last edited by Hal Bryan; 01-14-2013 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Fixed link.
    Anxiety is nature's way of telling you that you've already goofed up.

Jim Jackson moved to Idaho and still has the Lancair.

cub builder, Brett Steffen, nrpetersen, Bill Greenwood, and wltrmtty, Thank you--I have a lot more leads and a better focus. Brett, if you could put that information together it would be appreciated. What I would find helpful: list of people/schools who are building airplanes. Criteria needed for someone who is going to do such a project. (Classes, certifications, licenses?). Various build options. Ideas for grant requests--how much money, and for what, approximately... Definitely pitfalls to watch for, safety and liability issues.

http://www.alaskajournal.com/Alaska-...s-an-airplane/
    This is the last one I was involved with. One of our EAA members passed away and left the chapter her project. There were a bunch of people involved from the FAA, the 99s, and the EAA to make this happen, but the project was donated to a middle school in Anchorage, AK. We crated it up, and one of the folks up there found a trucking company that donated the space on board their truck, so picked it up here in NM, hauled it to their shipping center in Houston, then trucked it to Anchorage free of charge.

-CubBuilder

Sorry I could not find the name and phone no of the man at Aspen High School, I am out of town for a few days. He said the programs in N M were very successful, kids had to qualify by keeping their grades up, and got to fly and I think got licenced. It was not just a theory course or even a shop course.
    I think there may have been some state or federal grants and funding for some of the lower income kids. I believe they have a sponsor for the plane this year in Aspen.
    His son was a star player on the basketball team last year.

You may also want to look at this page

http://education.sonexaircraft.com/
    Robbie Culver
    Sonex #1517
    Taildragger
    AeroVee
    Currently working on the wings
    Chicagoland

I do not know about Adult Ed classes but if you contact Videobob over at Vans Airforce he has experience with high schoolers building RV12's...I think he is on build number three...He is also in Indiana, just SE of Indianapolis...

Regards

Thumbs Up Thank you for thoughtful helpful replies!

Thank you martymayes, Bob Meder, Sonex1517, and rickatic. I appreciate that you took this time to help. I will follow all advice. Google is good.

Most sincerely, Davene