Thread: taxi and landing light focal point distances

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The last post is great info for one type of airplane. What airplane are you talking about. If the original poster has the same type of airplane, he may now know exactly where to start. If he is building a different airplane, it may sit on the ground in a different attitude.

On the topic of 4 degree approaches - If you are not doing the ILS, you will find that the typical final approach following the pilot handbook numbers is steeper. Typically, flying a 3 degree ILS is a power approach. Power off, different airplanes glide more or less steeply. I say that as a guy who flys airplanes with glide characteristics that resemble a falling manhole cover. My power off approaches are VERY steep. Cessnas are sailplanes in comparison. So factor that into your landing light mounting, or don't. Maybe you will always fly a power approach at night.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    The last post is great info for one type of airplane. What airplane are you talking about. If the original poster has the same type of airplane, he may now know exactly where to start. If he is building a different airplane, it may sit on the ground in a different attitude.

On the topic of 4 degree approaches - If you are not doing the ILS, you will find that the typical final approach following the pilot handbook numbers is steeper. Typically, flying a 3 degree ILS is a power approach. Power off, different airplanes glide more or less steeply. I say that as a guy who flys airplanes with glide characteristics that resemble a falling manhole cover. My power off approaches are VERY steep. Cessnas are sailplanes in comparison. So factor that into your landing light mounting, or don't. Maybe you will always fly a power approach at night.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

The last post was intentionally generic. The intent was to point out what I want to see when I'm on final, in the flare, and on the ground and how to select and aim lights to meet those needs. The OP should consider what he wants to see in a particular phase of flight and install a lighting system that meets those needs. Mine was a simple example of how I accomplished that.