Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: medical exemption killing LSA

Quote Originally Posted by Tlb67 View Post
    Yes a brand new LSA is expensive , but take alook at material cost alone to build one
    Tenn- Air is tring to offer a SLSA for 75,000 price range
    you are talking roughly 20,000 for the kit /materials , 25,000 aprox for engine , at least 7,000 to 10,000 for avionics thats over 50,00 already with out any labor costs or paint(paint is cost are very undestimated)
    Pete`s 750 is very reasanable cost wise . I know the cost of composite material make the composite type aircraft higher
    I am not saying they are cheap!! I couldnt afford anyone but Im saying right know at this moment in time with the possable exemtion you have customers that would buy one , holding off and waiting for a ruling and the manufatures are really hurting It seems it has always benn dificult to be in the airplane buisness
    HAHA! 75k reasonable? that's funny, I mean really funny!, first off the engines should be 10k not 20-30k the price is SOOOOO inflated,Labor is only high (if it's high at all) because of poor production methods, painting processes are regulated but again it's about the volume and methods, you can justify it because of the overwhelming regulation and legal costs but it still doesn't make it "reasonable". I have a little over 20k in my experimental and I can assure you my building was anything but efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Racegunz View Post
    HAHA! 75k reasonable? that's funny, I mean really funny!, first off the engines should be 10k not 20-30k the price is SOOOOO inflated,Labor is only high (if it's high at all) because of poor production methods, painting processes are regulated but again it's about the volume and methods, you can justify it because of the overwhelming regulation and legal costs but it still doesn't make it "reasonable". I have a little over 20k in my experimental and I can assure you my building was anything but efficient.
    Yes, you don't have to carry the insurance a manufacture has to carry, because they will be sued sooner or later.
    KSCessnaDriver
    ATP MEL, Commercial Lighter Than Air-Airship, SEL, CFI/CFII
    Private SES

I have a little over 20k in my experimental and I can assure you my building was anything but efficient.
    But it was educational...

Here's another way to look at it. The kit for an RV-12 is about $70k. That's everything but the paint. It doesn't include any assembly labor. Certainly, Van's and the others in the supply chain have a profit built into the kit price, but I'd look at $70k as the materials cost for a metal LSA aircraft. Add in labor (call it 500 hours at $50/hr to account for shop space, tools, utilities, etc.) plus $10k for painting the thing and you're at $105k before corporate overhead, taxes, insurance, and profit. Looking at it that way, $125k seems like a reasonable retail price for a similar LSA. Not that it is a reasonable value, but it is a reasonable price.

After reading this and a similar thread on a different forum and then reading the FAA regs on blood pressure, I'm beginning to get just a bit nervous. I've been on BP meds for about 15 years which is analopril, 20mg, once a day. It's contolled just fine with the meds. Does this mean that I have little or no chance at a private certification or do I have to find a doc that will pass me as long as I pay a "fee"?

Thanks!

David

As long as your BP is controlled by meds it is fairly easy, you just need a status letter from your GP, a EKG, & possibly a couple other blood tests depending on what meds you are on.

Quote Originally Posted by akroflyer View Post
    Third class exemption is dead? Thats news to me!
    The FAA told both AOPA & EAA sometime last summer "No way, No how" yet they keep acting like it is a possibility. Some of the AMEs had a plan using the same standards required for a commercial driver's license but AOPA at least (not sure about EAA) rejected it as too restrictive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    As long as your BP is controlled by meds it is fairly easy, you just need a status letter from your GP, a EKG, & possibly a couple other blood tests depending on what meds you are on.
    Thanks, Mike. I'm also on a staten, Vitorin 10/20, and take a physical once a year. As a matter of fact, I do my blood draws this Tuesday and the physical the following week (not FAA, just my yearly deal :-)). My liver function, a critical test for anyone on a staten, has been fine. My BP is fine on the meds. Still, this makes me just a bit nervous. I'll still start the lessons when the time comes and just hope that the local FAA approved doc is ok. Maybe I ought to go on a diet now that the holidays are over. Well, after Carnival season, maybe.

David

The question was raised many times before. The official line from the leading LSA manufacturers is that they'll be all right, competing with other makers of new airplanes. Even Icon may win with this, by taking a certification route, while keeping their customers.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    The FAA told both AOPA & EAA sometime last summer "No way, No how" yet they keep acting like it is a possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    You guys do realize the third class exemption is dead? DOA? Nada? Not happening?
    Not true. The exemption is still under review by the FAA as we published here:

http://eaa.org/news/2013/2013-01-10_...on-request.asp

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation