Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First time to Oshkosh in 2013.

First time to Oshkosh in 2013.

G'day all and greetings from Australia. A friend and I (both pilots) will be attending the EAA Airventure for the first time this summer. Our common interest is antique and warbird aircraft. We are also both amateur photographers and will be bringing along our photo. gear. My kit includes a Canon 40D (1.6 crop sensor), Canon 100-400mm L and 17-40mm L and a mixture of CF cards ranging from 4GB to 8GB for a total capacity of 60GB - I shoot RAW. I also have a 320GB laptop to which I plan to backup on a daily basis.

I would appreciate any info. re. from where to get the best photo. opportunities for the airshow and whether I should consider adding another lens to my kit. Any other tips for first-timers would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any responses and I look forward to meeting forum members at Airventure.

Cheers,

George

George, you're going to have the time of your life!

Sorry; can't comment on the camera gear. Having too-long a lens (at least for me) can be difficult keeping the target in the viewfinder during high-speed, low passes by performers. I only have a Lumix that goes to 420mm, and I have to zoom out a bit to keep things centered.

As far as other prep goes, the AirVenture.org website has a "planning" pulldown in the homepage that contains just about all the information you'll need to get started.

Camping / dorms / private residence? Will you have a rental car? There are plenty of stores within walking distance of the field to stock up on provisions. If you're in the dorms, get the weekly pass and just ride the bus. The great thing about AirVenture is that it's been going on for so long that at this point it's a well-oiled machine. Things / logistics just plain work.

Many international visitors pack a suitcase inside of a larger suitcase in order to have space in which to bring home all of the things you will inevitably obtain during the week. As far as "basics", you can purchase just about anything you might need once here, whether camping equipment, clothes, food, etc. You'll need sunscreen. Hats & dark glasses are required. If you're on the field at night, whether camping or for the night airshow on Saturday, you'll need insect repellent, but you can buy that here.

This may be your first time, but I'm betting that you'll be with others from Australia that have been here before, or you'll find them here once you arrive. Pick their brains for what works for them.

Welcome! You'll soon be immersed with 500,000 of your closest friends.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Thanks for your response, Carl.

We're staying at the U of W dorms and plan to purchase a weekly pass. Wouldn't dare try to drive on the 'wrong' side of the road - way too taxing for a brain accustomed to driving on the LHS. We have pretty-much everything we'll need except camp chairs which will buy on arrival. Hats, sunscreen, repellent etc. are standard requirements for attending an airshow during our summer, too, when it can often reach 40 C during mid summer.

Meeting and mixing with like-minded people will also be a highlight.

Nice-looking plane that you have built.

Cheers,

George

G'day George. I am heading over with 2 mates from Melbourne. For 2 of us, this will be our second trip (the first was 2011), and we managed to convince the third that he was missing something extraordinary and needed to come along this year!

Firstly, remember the 6 P's! Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance! The EAA website has a heap of hints and tips for first time visitors to AirVenture. You should start here!

For camping/survival supplies, the is a large Walmart supermarket within a few minutes drive of the airfield. I strongly suggest you get yourselves a cheap folding camp chair and an umbrella from this store. The sun can be a little warm at times, and you will really value the ability to sit on a chair rather than all the way down on the grass when you are spending upwards of 12 hours a day on the display line. Just remember to stay behind the safety line burnt in to the grass, and never leave your chairs unattended (this is an etiquette/safety thing...nobody wants loose chairs blowing into the path of taxiing aircraft!)

As for the best place to take photos, let me offer this pearl of wisdom (and I mean no disrespect to our American friends here!) Keep an eye on the crowd. Where-ever there is a huge crowd, walk the other way and find a spot by yourself. The display line is enormous, and there is plenty of room for you to be on the line, away from the crowds. For some unknown reason (and this was relayed to me before I got to Oshkosh...and then reconfirmed by my own experiences there) whenever a few people gather in one spot to look at something, a crowd quickly gathers - I think alot of people must think there is something to see, and it becomes self-fuelling.

It seems that the prevailing winds (and the layout of the airport) result in most aircraft approaching/taking off from right to left on the main runways (directly ahead of you as you walk through from the main entrance). The only exception to this seemed to be the military hardware which, rather than taxi long distances for takeoff, would launch downwind. As for where you are going to get the best photos, that ultimately depends on what you want. If you want nice shots of aircraft with everything hanging out, and vortices rolling off the wing tips, then when you get to the display line, turn right and keep walking! You won't be able to get down to the runway threshold but you've got a long anough lense to sit back a bit and grab some good shots. I shot last year with a 300 mm lense and was a bit short for most of the stuff (although way too close for the B29!). This year I am taking a 500mm lense on a Nikon D7000.

Don't neglect the parking areas either. There are an enormous number of warbirds parked in the warbird area. I have never seen so many P51's all in one place! The ability to get up close to all of these aircraft mean you can get some really interesting angles too!

The EAA Museum is also a must-see!

Finally, make sure you venture down to The Bar, in the township, for a Bayou Burger (get the Pepperjack cheese) as it is AWESOME!

Enjoy your first pilgrimage, mate. It is mind blowing!

Hi again, George;

First, thanks for the compliment on the plane!

Since you're in the dorms, you should find out which dorm. As in, most rooms are not air-conditioned. Taylor Hall *is*, but at a higher price - you'd know this if you already have reservations. There is also a new hall opening for the first time in 2013 (can't recall the name), but it has a suite-type arrangement, but at a MUCH higher price than Taylor. Anyway, the point of this is that either WalMart or Target (target's right across the road from the field) have what we Yanks call "box fans" that will sit in a windo. You will need one if not in an airconditioned hall. They run about US$15; most visitors just leave them in the room upon departure. Another standard practice is to prop your dorm room door open by putting a shoe betwixt the door and jamb to allow some cross ventilation. Some folks might think that not too safe, but I think Oshkosh is just about the most crime-free place in the entire world during AirVenture week.

We stay in the dorms every year. While the campus food is good, it's of the "all you can eat" style. That might work for you; if you're trying to watch what goes in, it can be expensive if you just want a sandwich, for example. There are many great restaurants within a block or so of the dorms. If you can scrounge up some transportation (you'll have a bus pass) or taxi, there are many many other great options. Just about anyone will offer a ride if they have the space.

Lastly, make sure you try some Spotted Cow. It's a Belgian Pale Ale that is only available in the state of Wisconsin. May not be everyone's cup o' tea, but they sure seem to go thru a lot of it that week!

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Do I see a reference to Belgian Pale Ale in this thread? Then it's high time for me to chime in! :-)

George: please refer to Google Maps. If you don't zoom in too much on OSH you will actually see AirVenture 2011 at work (satellite view). As has already been mentioned, during the airshow most a/c will come in on 36, but quite a few of them (e.g. most heavies during the warbird part) will take off from 18, although many of them again stay pretty low until they've reached the end of 36. Airshow centre is just south of Celebration Way (=roughly where the 4 Aeroshell T6's and Matt Younkin's Beech 18 are parked).
    The area around airshow centre tends to get somewhat crowded during the airshow, but if you walk just a little south you should be OK. Anything south of Waupun Rd tends to have large enough gaps that you can usually just squeeze in even while moving north or south. And then it's a matter of what you like best. I like to photograph a/c on or just before touchdown, so I always walk as far south as W Ripple Av or further down.
    400 mm (*1.6) will be enough, I have 400 mm full-frame and I don't feel limited, except when the smaller warbirds are doing their merry-go-round flying - they're too far away for me.
    The smaller warbirds, incl. the trainers, usu. take-off and land on 09/27. The warbirds area is cleared every day around 2 pm, but you can photograph them taking-off from the 'North 40' area just west of the warbirds area (43.990637,-88.56275 on Google Maps). If they're taking off from 09 (happens only once or twice during the week) you can also get them taxying by from there.
    The day's airshow schedule (incl. timings) is posted on a ground floor window of the communications building (43.978153,-88.559147 on Google Maps) about an hour before the start of the show, but it is often a rough guide only. And the warbirds slot doesn't list any specific a/c or the order in which they will fly.
    Outside of the airshow, it's pot luck as to when any specific a/c will move, except that you will always be in the wrong place. If you decide to set up camp next to 09/27, rest assured that the a/c you really want will come in on 36 and the other way round. More a/c tend to come in on 36 than on 27 if only because of the fact that 36 is 36L and 36R, but I've always had the impression that warbirds try to come in on 27 if they can. Antiques will more often use 36 or 18 (which is great in late afternoon/evening light).
    You will probably already have found this on the AirVenture map on the AirVenture website, but the warbirds are parked west of the intersection of runways 04/22 and 13/31 (which aren't used during the week except to park more a/c), and they are parked east to west and west to east, so best light for static shots during the middle of the day. Antiques are parked just south of the wood south of Vern Av, and they are parked facing north, so best light before 8 am (I always try to be in that area by 6.30 am at least once every AirVenture :-)).

Don't hesitate to ask more questions - Oshkosh attracts a surprisingly small number of photographers, so I'm always happy to help fellow hobbyists out!

Roger (from Belgium, if the initial reference wasn't clear enough)

I am not sure how much additional cost there is for the air conditioned rooms in the dorms, but whatever the charge it is worth it. It can and often does get very hot in Osh in summer, over 30C (over 95*F) and I have even one year seen 40*C on a thermometer there. It can even get cool, down in the 50*s F at night, but that is not the norm.

Enjoy it, and by the way when is the best time of year to visit down under?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I am not sure how much additional cost there is for the air conditioned rooms in the dorms, but whatever the charge it is worth it. It can and often does get very hot in Osh in summer, over 30C (over 95*F) and I have even one year seen 40*C on a thermometer there. It can even get cool, down in the 50*s F at night, but that is not the norm.

Enjoy it, and by the way when is the best time of year to visit down under?
    They are about $40/night more and are already booked for 2013. They do have a waitlist, but I can't state how long it is. They also have a/c suites with an in-suite bathroom this year, but they are pretty expensive.

The room I had last year had a window a/c, but didn't have a cord that would reach any of the outlets. A quick trip to Walmart solved that problem. It made the trip much nicer being able to get a good night's sleep.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Another great spot to get a unique photo is in the North 40 camping area, the perimeter road goes around the end of 9/27 and you can get some great photos of planes departing.

Thanks to all who have responded. I have taken copious notes, consulted maps and feel that we have enough info. to hit the ground running.

Our airconditioned room is located in Taylor Hall so we should theoretically get some sleep during any hot weather. The tips about from where to watch the airshow action are greatly appreciated because it will ensure that we don't sit in a useless location and then have to relocate after the show starts. Thanks, too, for the food and drink recommendations - I love my food and it is a significant measure of an enjoyable holiday. Oh, I do like those Belgian ales, particularly the Trappist brews. Sounds as though every dimension of our trip will be great!

Thanks, again, for all your assistance.

Cheers,

George