Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: First time to Oshkosh in 2013.

I have been disappointed with the WIFI signal in the North 40, but understand there have been improvements in the last two years, when I did not camp there. But if they publish where the antennas are, you should be fine.

From EAA veteran

From 1 aviator who has attended EAA since it moved to Oshkoh.

- If staying at dorm......there is a pub at front of parking lot called Kellys.
    - Full of Brits & Ausie aviators during EAA.

- Only drink Spotted Cow beer while in Wisconsin.
    - Only eat Brats by Johnsonville...they are the best.

- I sayed in dorm 1 time. Never again.
    - Hot.
    - No parking.
    - Much shared bathroom....not good.

- Anticipate some kind of weather event....hot...cold....thunderstorm.

The Dorm's are OK if you don't mind roughing it a bit, but then I'm a Brit, so I'm used to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyguy View Post
    From 1 aviator who has attended EAA since it moved to Oshkoh.

- If staying at dorm......there is a pub at front of parking lot called Kellys.
    - Full of Brits & Ausie aviators during EAA. Plenty of Aussies in Oz - I hope to meet a few Yanks.

- Only drink Spotted Cow beer while in Wisconsin.
    - Only eat Brats by Johnsonville...they are the best. I always eat and drink the local produce.

- I sayed in dorm 1 time. Never again.
    - Hot. We're in an A/C room.
    - No parking. No car.
    - Much shared bathroom....not good. No prob. - there'll be luxury when we stay at the Willard in DC.

- Anticipate some kind of weather event....hot...cold....thunderstorm. Again, no prob because I live in Melbourne where the weather changes every 5 minutes. One day 45C, next day 20C.
    On a serious note, my mate and I have waiting for this for 30 years. We wanted to stay somewhere that offered modest accommodation and had lots of like-minded people. I think we'll be fine.

Cheers,

George

Last edited by GeorgeP; 06-04-2013 at 08:32 PM.

One shouldn't be spending much time at the dorm anyway, just to sleep. If the price is right I'd put up with a few discomforts.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeP View Post
    On a serious note, my mate and I have waiting for this for 30 years. We wanted to stay somewhere that offered modest accommodation and had lots of like-minded people. I thnk we'll be fine.
    George, you'll have a blast. We've always stayed in the dorms (we usually try for Taylor, one of the a/c buildings) and it's good. It's more like an international village and we've had the pleasure of meeting lots of great folks (and friends). My goal is to someday camp under the wing, but my wife, who has as much fun as I, prefers the dorms (well, she'd PREFER the Hilton, but just try getting a reservation THERE...). If you see a guy in a Sonex hat in Taylor, it's probably me.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

George (and other international visitors), Please check in at the International Visitor tent (usually found near the base of the control tower). There's also a free dinner for international visitors (have to get the ticket thru the International tent).

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    ....(we usually try for Taylor, one of the a/c buildings) and it's good. ...... If you see a guy in a Sonex hat in Taylor, it's probably me.
    We're also in Taylor so if you see an Aussie lookin' for a guy wearing a Sonex hat, it'll be me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGunbunny View Post
    George (and other international visitors), Please check in at the International Visitor tent (usually found near the base of the control tower). There's also a free dinner for international visitors (have to get the ticket thru the International tent).
    Really!? I've been coming for years(from Toronto) and never knew about the free dinner. Thanks for the heads-up.

Contrary to SkyGuy's advice, I'd recommend trying all the local beers. Wisconsin is known for beer, cheese and bratwurst - try them all. For those wanting a better lunch than standing in line for an hour at a booth (but about the same price), catch the shuttle bus around the North 40. Get off at the Friar Tuck stop (at the Motel 8 sign). Friar Tuck's is across the parking lot from the motel. Good food and drink, a comfortable place to sit, you can have a beer with lunch (can't do that inside Airventure).