Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First time to Oshkosh in 2013.

Hi, George;

Just a thought or two. While the uni (as you call it) has a good breakfast deal at an all-you-can-eat price, sometimes you don't need that much food. Another option at the dorms is The Terrace, which is a small area on the first floor of Gruenhagen; this is more ala carte of a continental breakfast scope.

Fruit, bagles, toast, pastries, cereal, coffee and juices are about all they have. But, if you just want a bagel w/cream cheese, a banana, and a cup o' Starbucks, you'll get out for around US$3.

I've never made the drive from Appleton, but if you're adventurous, you'll probably bump into someone in the terminal who's heading to Oshkosh and would give you a ride. It'd be a good bet that just about 98% of the folks on any given flight that day will be heading to the show.

There's normally a shuttle bus that runs from the grounds to Appleton, but I don't recall the day they start it. The planning section of the Airventure.org website lists Nationwide Travelers at 920-734-5620 who provides a shuttle service from the airport. They may be able to give you better information.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

I also use the The Terrace at the Gruenhagen (where I usually stay) for breakfast sometimes. Another option that is very reasonable is a church run outfit located near the bus station just outside the main gate to the airfield. At lunch time it's particularly popular with long lines waiting!

Hay, George. I like Melbourne, been there several times, a very cosmopolitan city. We have a friend with a Bonanza at Lilydale, and I've flown in there myself several years ago.

Several people have mentioned, but maybe not stated explicitly, there's one bus terminal just outside the main gate of the show with buses to/from, among other places, Appleton and the University dorms. You could catch those two buses for much less than $50, I'm sure, but of course you'd probably have to wait for each bus, probably 20 minutes each on average. A taxi would be quicker and easier, but I have no idea if $50 is right for that. Folks are correct that the chance of getting a ride is pretty good, especially for a couple colourful Aussies!

Thanks guys, some good suggestions there.

@MEdwards, I live quite close to Lilydale and it came a close second to Moorabbin Airport when I was considering where to train for my PPL all those years ago.

Interested in the views from the photographers. How much of the visiting aircraft parks are outside of the ticketed areas? I am planning to arrive late afternoon, stay two days, and depart early morning. Will I be able to access visitor parking on first and last days for a brief run round before/after the gates open and close? Thanks for any advice. David

Hi, David; Unsure of your question. If an airplane flies into Wittman Field, you can get right up to it (unless it's cordoned-off, that is...). There are no airplanes parked outside of the ticketed areas (well, unless you count those at outlying airports, but those are not the showplanes anyway...).

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

I believe the convention grounds are open 24 hours/day during the event, so to see show planes you'll need to purchase admission even for your short days. Of course, things get pretty quiet between 11PM and dawn.
    I believe you can get to the North transient aircraft parking & camping area without going through an admission gate, but those are usually not the unique planes. There's lots of them though.

One other thing is that the museum opens at 8 AM during the convention, and admission is included with your regular EAA membership. Depending on when you're leaving on your last day, that could be a good way to spend a few hours inexpensively.

Wide area wi-fi was tried a few years ago, and it didn't work well. They now have several hot spots and charging stations around the site in order to provide smaller, but more reliable, coverage. There are computers you can use for short periods at the EAA member center too.
    Last edited by PaulDow; 05-30-2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Added museum info.

Thank you guys. Think I'm just struggling with the size of this event. More used in Europe to visitor aircraft and show aircraft being two separate areas. I'm staying in Camp Scholler for the three nights and from what you say it looks like I'll be able to roam about and have plenty to photograph at all hours! I plan to keep away from the more mundane visiting aircraft due to the volumes. Have either of you experienced the quality of the Wi-Fi signal in the general campgrounds? I assume it'll be pretty patchy.

The warbird area is usually shut off during the daily airshows. I personally don't mind the 'more mundane' aircraft, I'll photograph anything that fly's at Oshkosh!

Wifi in Camp Scholler is spotty at best. They do publish where the antennas are installed, so just select a site nearby and you'll be fine.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler