Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First time to Oshkosh in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    I am not sure how much additional cost there is for the air conditioned rooms in the dorms, but whatever the charge it is worth it. It can and often does get very hot in Osh in summer, over 30C (over 95*F) and I have even one year seen 40*C on a thermometer there. It can even get cool, down in the 50*s F at night, but that is not the norm.

Enjoy it, and by the way when is the best time of year to visit down under?
    Hi Bill. The best time to visit Australia really depends on where you want to go. At this time of year (our summer) the southern parts of the country are getting temps in the high 20's to mid 30's (and often high 30's)...that's celsius, of course! Occasionally we may get low 40's, but they're not sustained over many days.

On the other hand, if you went to the top end, you would see regular temps in the high 30's to low 40's. A couple of weeks ago, we also saw a temperature of 50+ recorded for the first time since the 1960's! The down side to visiting the northern areas at this time of year is that it is also the "wet season", with lots of tropical storms and cyclones.

Our winters are reasonably wet, but temps are usually around the mid-teens during the day.

For the best general weather experience, I would suggest late March into April and early May, or at the other end of the year, try October, November and early December.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    .....by the way when is the best time of year to visit down under?
    Thanks for your response, Bill, and my apologies for missing your question re. the best time to visit Australia.

Scott has pretty-much covered it. If you plan to visit the southern states then Spring is the best time of the year (Sept onwards). Conversely, anywhere north of the Tropic of Capricorn is best visited during the 'Dry' season to avoid the oppressive heat / humidity. The half dozen, or so, trips that I have done to that region have been during the period between early June and late September.

Feel free to PM me for any further information.

Cheers,

George

Hi George,

I made my first tri to Air Venture in 2012 and loved every minute of it, apart from;

1, having to come home &
    2, being battered when the storm came through!

I also used my much abused 40D, as my primary body, to which I fitted my 100-400 L series lens. I then used my even more abused 20D as a secondary body, to which I used a 24 - 70 Sigma 2.8. I also had a 10 - 22 Canon lens, which I used when visiting the Green Bay Packers stadium. I found that I used each body for 50% of the time, so they balanced out well. My recommendations are not to change the lens on site, because of dust/pollen ingress onto the sensor and to go out and buy a second body (after all they're only cheap now). I didn't bother doing back ups each day and simply used more CF cards. With 60GB you should have plenty of space and if not just buy more. Just make sure you don't loose 'em! Don't forget to go down to the best spot of the lot, the Seaplane Base! Don't spend all of your time photographing the aircraft. Remove your face from the camera and enjoy the event. And finally, I shouldn't need to say this to an Aussie, but ensure you use a neck shade, that you can re-soak on a regular basis, as a burnt neck's not good for you.

The event is a life changing one, don't just think of it as a bloody big airshow, it's much more that that!

Enjoy

Regards

Reggie

G'day Reggie,

thanks for the extra tips and info. Yes, I'm planning to spend at least half a day (probably one) at the seaplane base and the reason for attending for the whole week is to look at aircraft with the naked eye, not just through the viewfinder. Thanks for the warning about changing lenses out in the field. My MO is to retreat indoors to change lenses and to wipe off surface dust on the camera before separating it from the lens.

Are you attending this year?

Hi George,

sorry to say I can't attend this year and it'll be a couple more years before I have the funds to return but, trust me on this one, I will return!

The most important thing about the event isn't the location, nor is it the vast selection of exotic aircraft, it's all about the people. It's like being part of a massive family. OK you won't see eye to eye with every single person there but you'll be accepted by all and sundry and, if you're anything like me, you'll be welcomed by like minded folk, with a fabulous array of of excuses to partake an a tinny or two!

Regards

Reggie

One more question, if I may. My flight from Chicago drops me at Appleton and I was wondering whether anyone could suggest the best form of transfer that I could use to get to the Uni of Wisconsin. My first (obvious? ) option would be to get a taxi for the 30, or so, kilometre journey. All other suggestions gratefully accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeP View Post
    One more question, if I may. My flight from Chicago drops me at Appleton and I was wondering whether anyone could suggest the best form of transfer that I could use to get to the Uni of Wisconsin. My first (obvious? ) option would be to get a taxi for the 30, or so, kilometre journey. All other suggestions gratefully accepted.
    It depends on the date of your arrival.

During the show there is a bus that runs between Appleton and Oshkosh. I suspect the schedule may be on the Airventure site. Once you arrive at OSH, then you can take the bus to the University.

I'm also willing to bet if you held a sign up in baggage claim near the rental counters stating that you need a ride to OSH, it probably wouldn't take long to get ride. Somebody renting a car should have an empty seat. You might want to add, I'm from Australia and need a ride to OSH.

Good Luck!

bob
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

WELCOME!

Two tips:

1. For static pictures it's best to get out there ultra-early, before the crowds. Dawn is around 6 am or so.

2. The best food at the airshow is the breakfast buffet at the dorms - Blackhawk Commons I believe it's called. We camp on the field, but always make it over at least once for the breakfast there.

Hi George,

This may be common knowledge, (probably is!) but a large number of photo's (over 7,000 at the moment) taken at AirVenture can be found on airliners.net, which should give you some idea of what to expect. As far as photo gear is concerned, I use a 1.5 crop Nikon with a 80-200 2.8 Nikkor for the vast majority of my photos there plus a 1.4 extender some of the time. I also have a 300/2.8 that I have to leave at home as if I tried to take it my carry-on would exceed the weight allowed, and it's a lot to carry around all day! But what I do take is perfectly adequate most of the time. Where I am at a distinct disadvantage is when it comes to trying to take the smaller aircraft in the flying display, so I don't really try. The flying display is usually largely taken up with aerobatic aircraft which the American's seem very keen on, which is understandable I suppose. The advice already given by others regarding the lay-out of the field etc. is very good.

Now regarding accommodation. I stay at the uni in one of the rooms without aircon. To be honest, I've never really felt the need for it. You can open the windows (which have insect screens) which provides adequate ventilation in my experience, and being English, and living in a generally cloudy, cool climate I just love some guaranteed sunshine for a change, although I have to slip, slap, and slop as you Aussie's say or I'd be burnt to a crisp!

Alex
    Last edited by AlexC; 02-27-2013 at 09:27 AM.

Thanks for the further responses. Sounds like the uni will be good for breakfast and my 100-400 might be the best option for airshow photogtraphy.

Thanks, too, to those who responded to my airport transfer query. I arrive at about 7pm on Saturday 27th and need to get to the uni where I'll be sharing with a mate from Australia. Would anyone have an approximate price for the ~30km journey from Appleton to the uni and the availability of taxis at the airport? I'm guessing around the $50 mark for the fare. Thanks for the continuing assistance.