Thread: cub gear

cub gear

Will a super cub gear fit a j-3 fittings? thanks Mike

Its been a while since this thread was opened, but I spoke with a local Cub expert and confirmed that the landing gear is essentially interchangeable across all Cub models from the J-3 to the PA-18/19. The gentleman that I spoke to in fact has Super Cub gear on a J-3 airframe.

Hope this info helps,

Wes
    N78PS

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    Early J-3s had a smaller diameter tubing on legs, IIRC. Also, the bushing are smaller with a smaller bolt. J-3s came in three different gross weighs; 1100, 1170 and 1220 pounds between 1937 and 1947. The landing gear attachment points on the fuselage, tubing and attachments on the gear are different. IIRC, the V strut is also a different length.

Unfortunately, I don't have references available at hand to give specifics.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

That is interesting info. I will guess that the dimensions of the landing gear attachment points are the same and the difference is the size of the hole in the bushing and the construction of the gear leg. My friend who has the Super Cub gear on his J-3 said it was a bolt on. And he has lots of hours on his airplane going to Alaska. His J-3 is a complete mongrel with lots of Super Cub parts on it by STC and Field Approval.

So if the original poster is still interested, look up the available STC's. Doing that upgrade is reported to be easy.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Cub gear

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    Its been a while since this thread was opened, but I spoke with a local Cub expert and confirmed that the landing gear is essentially interchangeable across all Cub models from the J-3 to the PA-18/19. The gentleman that I spoke to in fact has Super Cub gear on a J-3 airframe.

Hope this info helps,

Wes
    N78PS
    Wes Thank you for your help...Mike Edwards (baby ace)

Thanks Jim...Mike Edwards (baby ace)