Hi all,

I'm in the Los Angeles area, and I'm shopping for an airplane that may be E-LSA or EAB that is sport-able--and I'm guessing I prefer the Rotax 912ULS or iS to save on fuel--and to that end, I have questions. Perhaps some of you can help me sort this out?

1. If I BUY an E-LSA and take the 16 hr. LSRI (inspection) course, can I then BOTH (a) inspect for annual Condition Inspections, and (b) repair my own E-LSA airplane as well? Object, part of overall intent to lower cost of ownership going forward. I get told different things by different people about the repair part of it.

2. Sans LSRI which doesn't relate, if I BUY an EAB, then can I work on it when it needs it, except for CIs? I think I cannot any more than any other pilot on a TC'd airplane, but I've been told some weird things, such as "Sure, you can work on any Experimental...," which I think is NOT the case. But I thought I'd check with some folks here for input.

3. Is there, generally, a perceived difference in value or safety of an E-LSA vs. an EAB?

and

4. If I BUILD a plane (Example: Kitfox?), then what are the advantages to registering it as E-LSA (weight capped at 1320), or EAB (weight also capped at 1320 so it'd be sport-able)? Different advantages

(Note: I have a medical and have no medical contraindications, but I'm interested in taking advantage of the privileges in the Light Sport category as—why not? I fly LSA anyway, for practical purposes—day VFR—so why not cut out the medicals also?)

Thank you for any information or comments you'd like to share.

Jen