Thread: Wig Wag from Crazed Pilots.com

Wig Wag from Crazed Pilots.com

Any experience with the wig wag unit from Crazed Pilots? Price seems unusually low but might be very legitimate. Have you used this item or bought anything from these folks?

I have no personal experience with them or the product, but LEDs and their associated electronic controls are becoming commonplace and inexpensive. They are likely just repackaging something designed for a non-aviation purpose (police or ambulance in-grille strobe lights, for example) but that doesn't mean it won't work just fine for an experimental/ultralight installation.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

I can't say about this particular one, but my daughter bought what looks like the identical unit (only with blue lights, she's an EMT with the fire department) for her car and it works just fine for her. Cost about $10 on ebay. It's directional, though, I don't think it'd be bright enough off axis to be useful for an aircraft.

I am not sure that being "bright enough off axis" is an issue as I think they are intended to be landing lights that can also strobe for visibility, not all-around anti-collision lights. If looking for an all-around strobe, Kuntzleman makes a reasonably affordable self-contained single strobe, but it's still not cheap at $99 + $28 for the mounting kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I can't say about this particular one, but my daughter bought what looks like the identical unit (only with blue lights, she's an EMT with the fire department) for her car and it works just fine for her. Cost about $10 on ebay. It's directional, though, I don't think it'd be bright enough off axis to be useful for an aircraft.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

I've been using the wig wag unit from Perhelion Designs on my RV-8 for over 8 years now. Works great and is dead simple to install.

http://www.periheliondesign.com/wigwagdmnl.htm
    -------------------
    Mark
    EAA 367635
    President EAA 245

1979 Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
    RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)
    Bearhawk #1078 C-GPFG (under construction)

I used the Wig Wag system shown in Bob Knuckles AeroElectric Connection. It used an automobile turn signal flasher and standard aviation landing lights. Simple, cheap, and works great. Provides far better visibility from the ground or a tower than my strobe system does - day or night.

Charlie Brame
    RV-6A