Thread: Burping on a Rotax 912ULS

Burping on a Rotax 912ULS

Hi. I have a question about when to burp a Rotax 912 ULS. I don't have one yet; I'm shopping various light EABs, E-LSAs and S-LSAs. I'm thinking the 912 ULS is the best engine for me (quality, fuel economy), but I do have a question about it.

But when I do get one and I'm enroute from, say, Los Angeles to Oshkosh, you fly a few hours and put down for fuel. Then fly again, getting in 2-3 legs in a day.

I'm not real thrilled with the idea of hand-turning a prop on a warm engine. Some compression concern compared with a small piece of hot carbon or something, and I'm concerned it could kick. Dont' want my hand on it if it does.

So in the situation I'm describing—multiple legs on same day, warm engine, refueling, gas-n-go—is hand-turning the prop still recommended at each start-up?

Thank you

Jen

Burping is done to get an accurate check of the oil quantity. No need to burp after each leg of a cross country flight.

Fewer and fewer Rotax 912 owners are burping their engines to check for oil. The best time to check for oil level is immediately after you shut the engine down. Put this in your post flight routine and you will know how much oil is in the engine for your next flight (unless there's a black puddle under your plane or someone else flies it). I do turn the prop through each cylinder to check for hydraulic lock on the first flight of the day, though.

Thank you guys.

That makes sense.

Jen