Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airworthiness

Airworthiness

If a Varieze is virtually totaled, can the serial number and airworthiness be transferred to another airframe that is not complete? Some parts from the wrecked aircraft are used such as the engine.

I'm speaking completely in ignorance here, but....

I would think not. First of all, serial numbers for E/AB aircraft are arbitrary. While I used my plans number as my serial number, since I am the manufacturer I could call it #1, #1001, #1234, etc.

Regarding transferring of the airworthiness, again, it's really not worth it. Most E/AB limitations include phraseology similar to "major changes must be reviewed by the FSDO and the Phase 1 test period may be re-opened."

Now, if you just want to use parts from a totaled aircraft in yours, no problem whatsoever. Since it's E/AB, you can use anything you want, from any source, safe or not (FAA only cares that you don't kill other people - if you want to gamble with your life, that's your call).

Why would you want to avoid having an airworthiness inspection? Mine wasn't bad at all.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by EZRider View Post
    If a Varieze is virtually totaled, can the serial number and airworthiness be transferred to another airframe that is not complete? Some parts from the wrecked aircraft are used such as the engine.
    I agree with Carl, I don't think it's possible or practical. The other issue that you have is resale value. You would have significant damage history to report. If I was looking buy and saw that it was totalled by the insurance company in it's history, I would run away as fast as I could.

I think you would be better off salvaging what parts are still functional and using them in the build of another airframe. At least this way, there is no damage history associated with the aircraft.

bob
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

The Data tag is the aircraft, are you going to use that?

I'm looking at buying this aircraft, but have concerns that it may not have a legal airworthiness certificate

Quote Originally Posted by EZRider View Post
    I'm looking at buying this aircraft, but have concerns that it may not have a legal airworthiness certificate
    Don't walk.....RUN!

If you, an uninformed buyer, has reservations about the legality of this deal, imagine how a DAR is going to view it.......................

Lots of good projects for sale out there with clean records, no need to torpedo your project before you even get started.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

EZRider:

I'm still not clear on what you wanted to do with the totalled plane. If you wanted to buy it for parts for another homebuilt you're building, then it's just fine; you're just buying a pile o' parts. If, however, you're wanting to restore it, or do something with the original airworthiness ceertificate, then, as Sam says above, run away. Bob L mentioned points I forgot to mention in my original post. If you have any tie-in to that totalled plane, then the "salvage" factor will follow you until the end of its day.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

The plane is now complete. The original builder did the repair (xfering parts to a different airframe and finishing the new airframe). I believe his work is very good. He sold the airplane with virtually no logbook entries except his statement that it is safe to fly. The new owner has done several mods such as dual electronic ignition, electric pitch trim, and electric nose lift. The airplane has not flown in 7 or 8 years and only has 3 hrs on it from the original owner/builder after the rebuild. It has not flown since the mods.

I regret that I have to infer from the description that the builder was dodging the requirement for a new flight test period after a major change to the aircraft and possibly evading the pre-flight inspection requirement for a newly built aircraft. I will suggest that you request a copy of the operating limitations. If those operating limitations state, as they likely should, that a new flight test period is required after a major change to the aircraft, then I would run away from the aircraft. Rebuilding an airplane starting with the data plate and the engine is certainly a major change. The antique aircraft folks do that while filling out a pile of FAA form 337's. In the homebuilt world you need SOMETHING in the log books and the semblance of following the amateur built operating limitations. Caveat Emptor.

Wes
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    I regret that I have to infer from the description that the builder was dodging the requirement for a new flight test period after a major change to the aircraft and possibly evading the pre-flight inspection requirement for a newly built aircraft. I will suggest that you request a copy of the operating limitations. If those operating limitations state, as they likely should, that a new flight test period is required after a major change to the aircraft, then I would run away from the aircraft. Rebuilding an airplane starting with the data plate and the engine is certainly a major change. The antique aircraft folks do that while filling out a pile of FAA form 337's. In the homebuilt world you need SOMETHING in the log books and the semblance of following the amateur built operating limitations. Caveat Emptor.

Wes
    N78PS
    Thanks Wes, I think you have zero'd in on my concern. It is a beautiful airplane, but just want to make sure it is legal. I'm working with the original builder and present owner to clear things up.