Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How many hours before you fly passengers?

Certainly you can carry passengers after you become a pilot. And many do and it is fun.
    The trouble with the pilot in the accident which prompted this discussion is that he went into marginal and even IMC weather with innocent passengers, and then once there he didn't seem to realize that he was getting into an emergency and most of all he didn't take any positive action to try to land while he still had control of the plane and some alternative airports. Du Page was barely IMC, ceiling at 900 feet which is soft IMC, ( though it may have been raining) and Palwaukee was decent VMC, ceiling 1500 with good visibility underneath. He probably could and should have accepted ATCs offer for vectors to Palwaukee, even getting an IFR clearance if necessary, but he just kept mumbling some nonsensical replies and getting deeper into a problem. Strangely he didn't seem any sense of panic or even urgency on the radio.

If you are going to carry passengers as a low time pilot, what is great is to fly with another pilot if you can, and ABOVE ALL fly in good weather, not marginal or IMC.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 12-27-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Hmmm, in my case I had about 36 hours total time (ten hours past my SPL) before I took up my first non-pilot passenger.

(on a couple of occasions since then she's actually asked to go up with me - and more than once I told her she couldn't because the weather looked good for me to fly in but would not be fun for someone in the back of a Champ to endure.)
    Frank,

A good summary leading up to the carriage of a special passenger. I just couldn't pass your closing statement though. The obvious solution to this dilemma is an 11AC where you could share the "not fun"weather with her and even hold her hand if the bumps were a little rough. She would, of course, have to endure flying in a high speed aircraft like a Chief!!

Edgefly

None of that faddish modern stuff for me!

Side by side passengers, bah. What's next, putting a wheel in front of the mains?
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Frank,
    There have been some purportedly knowledgeable people of science who have studied that possibility from the point of view of theoretical Mechanics. Probably won't be much come of it since they don't have any real experience with doing a "Rudder Dance".

TW & CAVU

Dale