Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How many hours before you fly passengers?

GREAT story Frank! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian247028 View Post
    I'm not a pilot and while I have thought of getting my licenese I don't know if it will ever happen. In reading the thread about the IL plane crash there are a few comments in there that he didn't have enough hours to be flying passengers. I read one person say 500 hrs and another say 1000 hrs before they fly passengers.
    Hogwash!!

There is no reason why a private pilot can't take the checkride in the morning and fly with passengers that afternoon.

For the record, my first passenger after getting my private ticket was two weeks after the checkride; my very next flight.
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

I agree Mouse. It was maybe two hours after my check ride when I took my dad up! When I used to do my night currency landings he'd go with me. Once I said; "well, it's been a couple months so...", he laughed and told me one of his favorite sayings; "Ah don't worry, ain't nobody ever left one up there yet and I doubt you will". He was an aeronautical engineer, how could I argue with him? Turns out, he was right!

Everyone - Thanks for the information. I would like to set a few things straight though. The question I asked was from someone with no experience and just reading another post and a few comments made. It seemed odd to me but having no experience I didn't so figured I would ask.

Cost - Cost for me wouldn't be a concern. Right now I have enough invested in camera equipment that I could have paid for my pilots license and IFR rating. My next lens I want (which is a ways off) is 6k alone. I doubt I will ever have it but two years ago when I told my wife the equipment I wanted she said no way will you ever have that much invested and look where I am today.

Desire - I really like the photography end and to get the license makes it hard to fly and take pictures at the same time. Right now I would rather rely on the skill and experience of another pilot so I can open the window and take pictures. The last time I was in a plane was May 2011 for my yacht shots. Prior to that was early 90's.

Future - Who knows what the future will bring. After I did my May flight I had the bug big time to get my license. At Airventure we take one day to go up and look around. This year I plan on taking off all week. The main reason for this is to get the best weather for photography. I will probably put my name out there for the rideshare since I would love to fly into EAA once. That would be cool. I just wish the rideshare would let you put text in the fields since I am normally very generous when it comes to sharing the cost comapred to others who just want a free ride.

Hope this clears some things up and I never know what is around the next turn.

"I just wish the rideshare would let you put text in the fields"

I must be missing something. What does that mean? Hope to see you at AirVenture one of these times. (Black O-2A, parked with the L-Birds in the Warbirds area. Come by and say hello if we are there at the same time.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    "I just wish the rideshare would let you put text in the fields"

I must be missing something. What does that mean?
    Apparently, it means he would like to include the text message "will share pro-rata expenses" or something to that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Apparently, it means he would like to include the text message "will share pro-rata expenses" or something to that effect.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear but you are correct. I have read a number of times where people are looking for free rides and that isn't my style. Also I have been to AirVenture the past two years. Just one day each time and our favorite part is sitting on the flight line watching the planes take off.

Quote Originally Posted by David Pavlich View Post
    I've thought about this a lot. It seems to me that when a pilot plans a flight, you have alternatives on the way on your tablet or Ipad or whatever is used to put on paper/computer to review your route. Other airports that can become a sort of safe haven instead of running head long into deteriorating conditions. Is this a typical thought pattern? It just seems common sensical to me.

David
    David, anyone who paid any sort of attention to their training does exactly this - plans for diversion for every flight.

I use the flexible solar powered static navigational display (paper sectional map) and keep tabs of where I am even on a "local" flight (where one takes off and lands at the same airport) - even on those one may have divert to another airfield for a variety of reasons, usually failing to perform item #1 on the pre-flight, which is "did everyone go potty?"

The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Thanks, Frank. I like your #1 pre-flight. At age 61, the ole' bladder isn't as supple as it once was. I guess there's the "porta pottie", but they do look just a bit awkward.

David

Brian,
    I would argue that a person that just got his license is more prepared than someone who has had one for a few years. All that training fresh in mind is a good thing. You seem like someone who cares. That will naturally follow in the way you approach flying. I am known as someone who doesn't take much in a very serious manner, until it comes to flying. My passengers who know me, are often surprised by the seriousness I take on in the pre-flight and flight, but it is because I love it so much and want to share it with others, that I take it seriously. I have flow with over 150 different people, and I only have 270 hours of total time in. Enjoy it. Share it. You'll do fine.
    plans building a Sonex!!