Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: AOPA Webpage fatal accident study

Sounds like you are working on the flying part. All good stuff.

I will offer an agricultural tip. The books say when over a plowed field, land with the furrows, but then most pilots say land into the wind. Corn is plowed about 9" deep and if you land into the wind across the furrows you will likely just have a bumpy landing. But around where I am, potatoes are plowed 18" deep and a friend discovered the hard way that if you land into the wind across the furrows of a potato field your landing gear will dig in and you will flip onto your back.

So the "book" offers the guidance to land on plowed fields with the furrows, but not enough emphasis as to why that is more important than landing into the wind if you want to use the airplane again sometime soon.

Knowledge is also regional. I have seen a bunch of "flatland" pilots come to grief when flying around tall rocks. They just did not know what they did not know and did not respect that the airplane will happily take them places where their lack of knowledge will hurt them.

So go fly. Poke your nose into challenging places a little bit at a time. Fly in marginal weather close to home so you know what it looks like and how it acts, but can land as soon as it gets too interesting. Climb up high and carefully explore what the manual says the airplane can do. Mother Nature loves to try to find the holes in your knowledge and take advantage of them. First the test, then the lesson.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I hold a LSA Student Certificate.

Its the fool whom keeps doing the same thing but expects different results.

We talk saftey....Want better saftey...But just go about doing the same thing.

Just trying to state maybe just maybe if we change something we will not be loosing good people as we do.

If I error in the name of safety I will live with that.

H.A.S.
    Howdy 1600VW,

You might want to consider starting a new thread that addresses your concerns about pilot experience and passenger carrying; i.e. pilot certification requirements. I've read your posts and it seems you've had a significant amount of misfortune in your very "young" aviation career and have developed impressions/attitudes that may actaully be detrimental to your flying. Just a thought since there's an absolute world of info and experience within the EAA.