View Poll Results: Does builder or restoring make you smarter?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I have definitely increased my problem-solving capacity

10 71.43%
  • No - no perceived change in my ability to problem-solve

1 7.14%
  • Other (please explain via reply below)

3 21.43%

Thread: Does building or restoring make you smarter?

Does building or restoring make you smarter?

I asked this question over on VAF.net and got some interesting responses. I thought I would put this question to a wider audience (not just RV builders, but all builders and restorers).

Does building or restoring make you smarter and in this context "smarter" we'll say means you are a better problem-solver?
    Brent Owens
    RV-8 'Contrary Mary' - Flying
    www.fixedwingbuddha.com

I think it depends on how much actual "building" you're doing and how strict you're being with yourself. I know a few homebuilders whose problem solving might be better described as "problem causing". The Dan Lloyd RV fiasco comes to mind as a textbook example of this which saddens me more than I can put into words since Dan was a friend.

That said, I think it helps many folks in a practical sense with solving complex problems. Even just the design process has vastly improved my spatial reasoning skills and problem solving abilities (or at least that's what I like to tell myself!).
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

It made me poorer and several steps closer to single! LOL! Seriously I learned alot, and love MY airplane. Mine was more of a one-off so problem solving came for sure, but it's hard to say I got better at it cause once i solved the issue the next one was totally different. I have much more confidence for my next build and there will be at least one more for me. I'll let you know in 3 years or so when it's done.

It made me poorer and several steps closer to single!
    As if I needed more proof that I have the most awesome fiancee in the world: she's helping me with the design and build process.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    That said, I think it helps many folks in a practical sense with solving complex problems. Even just the design process has vastly improved my spatial reasoning skills and problem solving abilities (or at least that's what I like to tell myself!).
    +1. I'm not smarter but my problem solving skills have definitely improved.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Thanks guys!!
    Brent Owens
    RV-8 'Contrary Mary' - Flying
    www.fixedwingbuddha.com

I think it's stretched my problem-solving muscle parts of my brain, but didn't really make me any smarter. I just had to work out solutions using the materials I'm working with, which is new to me.

I suspect that a lot of builders are generalists - good at a lot of things but not really masters of much at all - that like to tie different skill sets or ideas from multiple disciplines together.

Spacial reasoning + basic skills + ego + confidence = builder.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.