Thread: Welding - Victor torch tip question

Welding - Victor torch tip question

I think I know the answer but I want to make sure - will the welding tips I have for my Victor 100 fit the J28 handle?

I'm pretty sure they will but my welding supply guy passed away & I want to make sure before I go in & talk to his son.

I have an old injury from my baseball years that gives me troubles at times, I thought it was OK but lately my right arm thinks the 100 is too heavy & I get shaky trying to hold it steady after a while. (yea, I know the Victor 100 is not that big, but after a while it is just too much for my arm)

Now I am getting confused - evidently there is a "J100" and a "Medium 100", the J100 uses the same tips as the J28, but the medium sized 100 uses larger tips. Anyone know how to tell the difference? I was trying to avoid having to buy a whole new set of welding tips.

Mike,

Go to this website, find their phone number and give them a call. They will give you a definative answer. http://billswelderrepair.com/home.html

Thanks, I will check it out

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    Thanks, I will check it out
    Mike,
    Tips are either the 100 series, or the "J" series. The common 100 tips will not fit any of the "J" handles ( J-20, J-28, J-40, J-100 etc). The "J" series tips are marked as such containing the letter "J" in their part number ( i.e. W-J-1 ).
    Last edited by Aaron Novak; 12-19-2012 at 11:10 PM.

Thanks Aaron. These all appear to have the tip size number followed by a -W-1.

I have asked a couple guys that I used to work with that bought theirs from the same guy, nobody knows for sure as we all just bought what we were told to at the time, but we think they are the larger 100, not the J100.

So I guess I cant save any money by buying a Victor J28 & sharing tips.

Mike,
    You are correct.

I just picked up a new (been sitting in a tool chest for a few years) Smith AW1A with a few tips on Ebay for less than Spruce wants for the handle alone.