Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Angle of attack

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    If the computer between the pilot's ears is in pause mode, technology won't make a difference.

Fly safe,

Wes
    N78PS
    I don't think anyone in this thread has posted in opposition to that point regardless of how much we encourage the use of AOA.

And I also don't see how that has anything to do with evaluating the value of using AOA.....we're not discussing brain-dead pilots, but rather individuals who wish to enhance safety with the technology currently available.

AOA works. That is beyond debate. Each pilot decides whether or not they wish to use it.

Sorta like whether or not you chose to navigate with four-range, NDBs, VORs, or WAAS GPS.........
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 12-28-2012 at 07:38 PM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

The way my AOA works it tells you audibly in your headset when you are about to stall in a very attention getting way. ANGLE! ANGLE! PUSH! ANGLE! ANGLE! PUSH!
    You do not need to be watching the lights on the panel. I believe the chances are very high it would have saved his life.

I am not saying everyone has to have one of these. I am not selling anything. I am just saying that this product is a game changer in stall avoidance.
    Very few of us are going to stall it in but yet we know highly respected and experienced pilots have.

Mark

The way my AOA works it tells you audibly in your headset when you are about to stall in a very attention getting way. ANGLE! ANGLE! PUSH! ANGLE! ANGLE! PUSH!
    Which model is this?
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Quote Originally Posted by steveinindy View Post
    Which model is this?
    Although I don't have the voice hooked up in my plane, I believe the Advanced AOA will do this.
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

Yes it is advanced flight.

Mark

Dynon also provides an auditory alarm with their system. I think the Skyview system actually talks, my D10-A only sends out a tone via the headsets but it definitely gets your attention without having to watch any indicators. I have it plumbed into the LRI probe so the all-mechanical analog indicator is always alive in addition to the Dynon indicator.
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 12-29-2012 at 09:49 AM.
    Sam Buchanan

You know, I just realized that certificated aircraft are required to have an audible stall warning system, but that homebuilts are NOT. So in the homebuilt world the addition of an audible AOA warning may in fact be a game changer. This may be one point where homebuilt construction has a safety gap with certificated airplanes. That said, I see that Aircraft Spruce sells a van type stall warner for under $100.

Fly safe,

Wes
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    You know, I just realized that certificated aircraft are required to have an audible stall warning system, but that homebuilts are NOT. So in the homebuilt world the addition of an audible AOA warning may in fact be a game changer. This may be one point where homebuilt construction has a safety gap with certificated airplanes. That said, I see that Aircraft Spruce sells a van type stall warner for under $100.

Fly safe,

Wes
    N78PS
    Good point Wes. I also made a discovery about S-LSAs. I was looking at the panel of an S-LSA and it had a placard that flat prohibited intentional stalls and spins. It didn't have a stall warning system either. I checked the factory web site and "stall warning" was not listed as standard or optional equipment. You could, however order a Dynon or other EFIS. But no mention of AOA. I checked the web sites of some others. Same thing. I understand competely that the ASTM standards are much looser than FAR 23.

I learned to fly in Cubs and flew about all the planes of the era. None of the planes in my Guard unit were equiped either. Stalls, slow flight, etc had to be practiced routinely. I spent most of my first 400 to 500 hours on the back side of the power curve as did everyone else. I wonder if my grandkids could safely learn to fly today in the average S-LSA?

Bob

They could learn very well. Indeed, it would force them to pay attention to the sound and feel of the aircraft while looking outside of it rather than staring at a panel.

I'm an outlier, I guess - the few times I flew a Cessna the dang stall horn scared the hell out of me.....not a good thing when in the stages of actually landing the aircraft.

Of course I'm at the stall, you stupid airplane, as the definition of landing is to not be flying any more.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dingley View Post
    Good point Wes. I also made a discovery about S-LSAs. I was looking at the panel of an S-LSA and it had a placard that flat prohibited intentional stalls and spins. It didn't have a stall warning system either. I checked the factory web site and "stall warning" was not listed as standard or optional equipment. You could, however order a Dynon or other EFIS. But no mention of AOA. I checked the web sites of some others. Same thing. I understand competely that the ASTM standards are much looser than FAR 23.

I learned to fly in Cubs and flew about all the planes of the era. None of the planes in my Guard unit were equiped either. Stalls, slow flight, etc had to be practiced routinely. I spent most of my first 400 to 500 hours on the back side of the power curve as did everyone else. I wonder if my grandkids could safely learn to fly today in the average S-LSA?

Bob
    We fret about aviation dying, and it is a valid concern. According to the above post and those who think along similar lines, once pilots who learned to fly in real aircraft are dead and gone, aviation will disappear because the younger gene pool won't possess sufficient intelligence to learn how to safely fly the current fleet. Aviation will cease to exist as the younger pilots foolhardy enough to attempt flight kill themselves. Piloting an airplane will eventually be recalled with the same fondness as blacksmithing and alchemy.

We witnessed the same phenomenon with the passing of camera film....now we are stuck with no way to record images.....................
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 12-31-2012 at 09:38 AM.
    Sam Buchanan