Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Angle of attack

As someone who has an AOA in a Tecnam P2008 I have to say many are not giving it the credit it is due. Plenty of cubs, LSA etc have stalled it in and lives were lost.

I also was not a believer either until I had one. Knowing how close you are to the stall at all times is a great safety feature. The flashing lights on the AOA inducator get used alot in my aircraft. Mine also has an audio that yells at me just before the stall. Its accuracy is repeatable everytime.

I hear of AOA naysayers who have never had one but I believe you would be hard pressed to find a pilot with a proper working AOA that would give it up.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Markmn View Post
    As someone who has an AOA in a Tecnam P2008 I have to say many are not giving it the credit it is due. Plenty of cubs, LSA etc have stalled it in and lives were lost.

I also was not a believer either until I had one. Knowing how close you are to the stall at all times is a great safety feature. The flashing lights on the AOA inducator get used alot in my aircraft. Mine also has an audio that yells at me just before the stall. Its accuracy is repeatable everytime.

I hear of AOA naysayers who have never had one but I believe you would be hard pressed to find a pilot with a proper working AOA that would give it up.

Mark
    You nailed it, Mark.

It seems most who express doubts about the value of AOA in our planes are those who haven't flown with it and learned how to use it to enhance the performance/safety of the aircraft.

And then there is the dubious claim that those who like using AOA are inferior pilots who don't know how to recognize what the plane is telling them.

With the increasing use of EFIS in light planes, this technology will be readily accepted as the norm in years to come. This may be a generational change, but change will occur as now evidenced by the FAA's emphasis on incorporating AOA in light aircraft.
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 12-21-2012 at 09:58 PM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

I will offer the opinion that I don't have doubts about an AOA display, but these days, looking at accidents, I lobby folks that the most important computer in the cockpit is between the pilot's ears. And the best investment is loading that computer with data through structured experience. The accident rate is actually not that bad, but the common theme is NOT that the pilot did not have enough data, but rather that it was not processed by the computer between the pilot's ears.

We can agree to disagree with the notion that limited $$ are more wisely spent on gas rather than a new display.

I will note an indicator of a disturbing trend. The new displays are supposed to present flight info better and help us fly. That said, we had a pilot fly down final looking at the displays, right to impact with the runway. The pilot apparently never looked up from the panel in time to flare - on a clear VFR day.

Enjoy your hi-tech gear.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

I remember a fairly well known Cub pilot who stalled it in. He did alot of photography or video.

Can anyone help me remember who it was?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Markmn View Post
    I remember a fairly well known Cub pilot who stalled it in. He did alot of photography or video.

Can anyone help me remember who it was?

Mark
    I can think of a few. The one that jumps to mind was the mountain flying guru Sparky Imeson.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

I will guess that you are thinking of Sam Lyons, the painter. I believe that his wife died in the crash.

Fly safe.

Merry Christmas,

Wes
    N78PS

No it was someone else. I remember that he was an experienced cub pilot and was doing some slow flight when he stalled at low altitude and was killed. I believe he was by himself but may have had wittnesses to the accident. It was a couple years ago. He was well known as it was in the magazines.

Mark

Mark,

You may be referring to Shawn Lunt.

Greg

Yes it was shawn. He was close to the ground in slow flight when he stalled his super cub and was killed.
    Based on my experience with AOA it would have saved him.
    My point is that very experienced pilots still stall it in and die.

Im not saying every pilot should be required to have AOA but that it may save your life no matter how good you are.

Mark

I will suggest that the crash was tragic but thinking that an additional gizmo in the cockpit would have prevented the accident does not address the root cause. The crash sounds like the pilot was not paying attention to either the airspeed indicator or the aerodynamic clues that the airframe was providing. Given that, the addition of an AOA display would not have prevented the accident. The pilot has to actively pay attention to the aircraft.

There was a study just published that says that the switch over to glass cockpits has had no positive affect on the accident rate. Very interesting data.

Technology will not save you from yourself if you are not already making full use of your equipment.

If the computer between the pilot's ears is in pause mode, technology won't make a difference.

Fly safe,

Wes
    N78PS