Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pober Junior Ace Heavy Ailerons

Hey, Ron Blum, I have a couple questions:
    1) I'm building the traditional ailerons and have the ribs made but haven't assembled the aileron, yet. Do you recommend I go with the Friese ailerons?
    2) Will you be at the Pober/Acro Sport 'workshop' Tuesday morning (7/26)? If not, I'd like to meet you and visit about my Junior Ace Project.

Thanks!
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by wltrmtty View Post
    1) I'm building the traditional ailerons and have the ribs made but haven't assembled the aileron, yet. Do you recommend I go with the Friese ailerons?
    2) Will you be at the Pober/Acro Sport 'workshop' Tuesday morning (7/26)? If not, I'd like to meet you and visit about my Junior Ace Project
    1) I need to look at the plans again for a look at the entire aileron system. In other words, I want to see where the system is cable and where it has push-pull rods and bellcranks. The maximum roll rate cannot be changed (without a change in total aileron travel). It would be good for you to talk to other owners/builders to hear/see their comments on the current design and how it flies. I believe that the ailerons are simple with a single, centerline pivot point and a round leading edge. Changing to a Frise aileron would be a little (a lot actually) work, as it would need to be supported from a cantilevered aft upper surface of the rear spar. The rear spar is probably oversized for the loads in that area, but I would be concerned about putting holes (screws) into the top of it. Go figure. An engineer worried about putting holes in primary structure :o)

2) I need to check my plans for Tuesday morning, but I will put the forum high on my list. In other words, I am not sure of my schedule yet, if work has other plans for me at that time or if I have another meeting or forum scheduled for that time :o) Please email me at fly-in-home@att.net or text me at the number previously posted in this forum, and I will make sure that we talk more. I love this stuff! And someone actually building an airplane from plans! My hats off to you!

Thanks,
    Ron

I was at the OSH Pober Forum this morning (nice to meet you, Ron), and was talking to Chris Kinnaman about the aileron gap seals on the drawings and it occurred to me, what do you have for gap seals? One advantage of gap seals is aileron authority. There's quite a gap between the wing false spar and the aileron - big air leak.

I was at the OSH Pober Forum this morning (nice to meet you, Ron), and was talking to Chris Kinnaman about the aileron gap seals on the drawings and it occurred to me, what do you have for gap seals? One advantage of gap seals is aileron authority. There's quite a gap between - big air leak.
    Effectiveness will be increased ... but so will forces 😝

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Blum View Post
    Effectiveness will be increased ... but so will forces 

Hum, well, I really don't see spades on a Junior Ace aileron.

Hum, well, I really don't see spades on a Junior Ace aileron.
    Now that would get some looks and questions :o)