Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homebuilts and the FAA

Gday Samuel,I too am at your stage though a little further on,I looked at the EAA biplane as a contender because I acquired a set of plans cheap,incomplete I might add,I even looked at used frame but in the end wise heads gave me good advice and now I have set of Hatz CB-1 plans in transit.I looked at all the options and my situation and made a decision that suited me and that is my advice to you,find an aeroplane that will suit your skill,budget,space and time constraints and build.It's all about baby steps. Cheers Ross

First, are you interested in the S1-C Pitts, or is this just an opportunity you came across and it spurred your interest?

If a small, single seat biplane (or any of the home built bipes) is what you are interested in I would invite you over to <biplaneforum.com>. Lots of experience there for the build/rebuild and good information on flying aerobatics if that is your focus. All types of Biplanes are discussed there and there are many knowledgeable builders of each type. There are even build threads you can follow.
    Last edited by Neil; 12-25-2012 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    First, are you interested in the S1-C Pitts, or is this just an opportunity you came across and it spurred your interest?

If a small, single seat biplane (or any of the home built bipes) is what you are interested in I would invite you over to <biplaneforum.com>. Lots of experience there for the build/rebuild and good information on flying aerobatics if that is your focus. All types of Biplanes are discussed there and there are many knowledgeable builders of each type. There are even build threads you can follow.
    Thanks for the offer Neil. I'm actually already over there as "Taildragger." It's a great place and I'm learning a lot. And yes, it's the single-place Pitts that I'm interested in.
    Classic airplanes at historic Red Stewart Airfield, Waynesville, OH: http://s1075.beta.photobucket.com/us...ic%20Airplanes

Carl O's mostly right about the sign off, but the individual DAR and FSDO may differ on 25 or 40 hours "fly off" on an certified engine. The rule was "certified engine and prop" in my first airworthy experimental. As my prop was experimental it was 40 hours. Individual DAR's can be testy. Mine wanted to see the cardboard registration not the pink flimsy which transferred ink to the registration card. I advise getting the two Advisory Circulars that spell out the process of getting an airworthiness certificate and how to test fly those "fly off" hours. One can bore circles in the air or really get to know their plane and what it can do.

Basically, one commits to the education of planning, building, inspecting, documenting, certifying and test-flying the homebuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Vision401 View Post
    Carl O's mostly right about the sign off, but the individual DAR and FSDO may differ on 25 or 40 hours "fly off" on an certified engine. The rule was "certified engine and prop" in my first airworthy experimental. As my prop was experimental it was 40 hours. Individual DAR's can be testy. Mine wanted to see the cardboard registration not the pink flimsy which transferred ink to the registration card. I advise getting the two Advisory Circulars that spell out the process of getting an airworthiness certificate and how to test fly those "fly off" hours. One can bore circles in the air or really get to know their plane and what it can do. <snip>
    Vision, I had to reply, since you highlighted my "fly off" comments. And I'm smiling as I write this.

I have just finished Paul Dye's article in the latest KitPlanes mag where he noted the same thing. I fully agree with your and his observation that it's not just about boring holes in the sky. It *is* about developing a credible test plan, and, yes, I do have one in a binder and all (oooooo! that makes it credible!!). I'll watch my language from here on out!

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Thanks for the comments. Looks like I'm in luck with the article "So You Want To Build An Airplane" in the current Sport Aviation issue. That explained it very well.

I had no idea that the state would come after me for taxes. Ugh!
    Classic airplanes at historic Red Stewart Airfield, Waynesville, OH: http://s1075.beta.photobucket.com/us...ic%20Airplanes

Quote Originally Posted by WeaverJ3Cub View Post
    Thanks for the comments. Looks like I'm in luck with the article "So You Want To Build An Airplane" in the current Sport Aviation issue. That explained it very well.

I had no idea that the state would come after me for taxes. Ugh!
    The state taxes our cars, trucks, motorcycles and boats....why should we expect they would look the other way in regard to airplanes?

Be sure you pay use taxes on time otherwise you will be paying interest and penalties in addition to the taxes.....that is what will really get you hacked off!
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    The state taxes our cars, trucks, motorcycles and boats....why should we expect they would look the other way in regard to airplanes?

Be sure you pay use taxes on time otherwise you will be paying interest and penalties in addition to the taxes.....that is what will really get you hacked off!
    I tell you why I think they "shouldn't" the car/boat/motorcycle were made by companies not paying sales tax on the materials, and except the boat will use State funded roads ect. I asked the Indiana chap when I was being extorted for their "cut" how much of the aviation taxes went to State aviation facilities ect. he said zero! a big fat zero! it goes to the general fund. It is a luxury tax simple as that!
    I do have to add that as far as "property taxes" go which I oppose strongly, it was not a burdensome amount, just doesn't seem right in the "land of the fee home of the slave" to have to pay the man for everything you do.
    Last edited by Racegunz; 12-28-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Racegunz View Post
    I tell you why I think they "shouldn't" the car/boat/motorcycle were made by companies not paying sales tax on the materials, and except the boat will use State funded roads ect. I asked the Indiana chap when I was being extorted for their "cut" how much of the aviation taxes went to State aviation facilities ect. he said zero! a big fat zero! it goes to the general fund. It is a luxury tax simple as that!
    I do have to add that as far as "property taxes" go which I oppose strongly, it was not a burdensome amount, just doesn't seem right in the "land of the fee home of the slave" to have to pay the man for everything you do.
    I wasn't defending the tax structure, just pointing out that when the FAA sends the local tax authorities registration info that says "AN AIRPLANE IS BASED HERE!!!" the local revenuers are definitely not going to let that one slide by. It's just too easy a target.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Quote Originally Posted by Racegunz View Post
    I tell you why I think they "shouldn't" the car/boat/motorcycle were made by companies not paying sales tax on the materials....
    Here in Washington state, we recommend builders keep their receipts and add up local sales tax on their hardware when it comes to registering the aircraft with the state (and paying the Use Tax). The Use Tax is reduced by the amount of sales tax paid.

Not much of a help normally when buying from places like Aircraft Spruce or Wicks, but these companies are more-and-more collecting state sales tax.

Ron Wanttaja