Hi guys,

Recently, I've been increasingly interested in buying a homebuilt project and finishing it off. Without getting into the usual pre-buy stuff associated with buying a completed or project plane, I have a lot of questions about what exactly the legal requirements/privileges are for homebuilding and buying an incomplete build.

I haven't typically paid much attention to Experimental certification rules, homebuilt rules and regulation, or anything like that since I never saw myself flying anything other than Standard certificated planes, but now I'm seeing that fun and "affordable" aviation begins with an "E."

So, is there a book, thread, or other place where I can learn exactly how all this works? I figured this would be a good forum to ask.

Some specific questions: Does the previous owner's work count toward the 51% necessary? Can I do my own maintenance? What paperwork is required for the sale? What's this I hear about having to fly off a bunch of test time before the airworthiness certificate is issued? Can I do my own annual?

Thank for your patience....I know this is a pretty basic question.

—Samuel