... that doesn't mean I understand it all. This is a new area for me even though I have been an aviator for most of my life. I am currently a Light Sport pilot. Many years of private and commercial flying (6000+ hrs) but financially strapped to continue with other than LSA flying.

I am in the process of acquiring a 1994 Challenger 2 registered (N numbered) with about 270 hours TT. Until I came along and discovered it hanging in a shop where it had been stored for four years, my flying life was pretty basic. Either someone would let me fly their airplane, or they wouldn't. This resulted in significant dry spells the last few years.

From what I've seen of this Challenger, it should be pretty straightforward as far as inspecting, reassembling and registering, the aircraft, where my confusion comes from is the idea of using it for flight training for my wife and kids, and maybe a couple of friends.

I am not an instructor, but I have a willing one available. None of the confusion I have is around me, or friends who have LSA or higher flying the aircraft, only about training for others.

Anyway, I spent much of yesterday, and a lot of today researching this situation online.

Here is what I believe is legal:
1. Owners of this category aircraft can be trained in the aircraft.
2. Use of the aircraft for training by non-owners is not permitted.
3. Revenue cannot be generated from the aircraft i.e. renting it for use.
4. Instructor can be compensated for his/her instructional hours.
5. If the aircraft is owned by a club, club members can use it for training. No revenue (renting/leasing) charges allowed.

Here's what I am not clear about (based on reading/audio from the internet):
1. Is my aircraft, because it was built and registered in 1994, eligible to be used for training. Is it LSA or ELSA, or both?
2. What the heck is the latest info on LODA and do I need one?
3. Would it be more useful to have all my family as owners, or to form a club with them as members. All are adults.
4. Is it too late, less hassle, to take up golf?

Any info, thoughts, suggestions appreciated.