Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Offering flight lessons in a homebuilt?

Offering flight lessons in a homebuilt?

I'm considering becoming a CFI and am wondering if it's illegal to flight train students in a homebuilt? What if you don't charge any hourly rate for the plane? Thanks.
    *** Life is Lead Points and Habit Patterns ***

If you are providing a plane for flight training, it can not be a homebuilt. Limited exception for type specific training.

No hourly rate for the plane and $200 /hr for your exceptional CFI skills won't fool anyone.

That is the FAA viewpoint, but oddly enough it's not what the regs say. It's one of those big stupidities. While the 100 HOUR rule says carrying passengers for hire OR flight instruction where the instructor provides the aircraft, the experimental prohibition is just "carrying passengers for hire." We've got contradictory interpretations saying that instruction is not "carrying passengers" (if you're just talking about the student alone). Go figure.
    The FAA never makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    If you are providing a plane for flight training, it can not be a homebuilt. Limited exeption for type specific training.
    Yeah, but I was wondering where in the regs it says that.
    Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    No hourly rate for the plane and $200 /hr for your exceptional CFI skills won't fool anyone.
    Yeah, but I guess I just wanna teach people to fly at $0 an hour, because all I care about is gettin' more of us up there. (or shall I say up here?)
    Last edited by WingsAloft; 12-02-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    That is the FAA viewpoint, but oddly enough it's not what the regs say. It's one of those big stupidities. While the 100 HOUR rule says carrying passengers for hire OR flight instruction where the instructor provides the aircraft, the experimental prohibition is just "carrying passengers for hire." We've got contradictory interpretations saying that instruction is not "carrying passengers" (if you're just talking about the student alone). Go figure.
    The FAA never makes sense.
    You've just nailed the issue. That's exactly what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by WingsAloft; 12-02-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WingsAloft View Post
    Yeah, but I was wondering where in the regs it says that.
    91.319(a).

Wondering if a student is a "passenger" (or ballast?) is irrelevant because the aircraft can't be used for anything other than it's intended purpose. A homebuilder can learn to fly in the airplane he builds. What he can't do is use the plane he builds and operate a flight training business. Even if he doesn't make any money doing it.

Yeah, but I guess I just wanna teach people to fly at $0 an hour, because all I care about is gettin' more of us up there. (or shall I say up here?)
    Yea, I see what you're saying. I guess if you wanted, you could create a flying club with the airplane. Then you can sign up a bunch of non-pilot members and give them flight training so they can fly their plane. Plus you could get paid for your teaching.

Student or no, if a person on an aircraft is not a crewmember (on an aircraft requiring crew other than the PIC), then he's a passenger under the regulations.

Flight instruction completely for free might be legal. Charging $200 per hour for instruction and providing the plane "for free" might sound legal, but if the FAA notices and decides to pursue an enforcement action, remember in any enforcement case they're the judge, jury, and executioner. You won't win.

I've often heard the flying club idea proposed. Never heard of it being tested, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I've often heard the flying club idea proposed. Never heard of it being tested, though.
    The problem with a homebuilt in a flying club won't be with the FAA, it will be with insurance. Many insurance companies won't touch it.

Ex Amateur built aircraft do not have any restrictions on their use in flying. The only requirement is they were CONSTRUCTED for educational/recreational purposes.

I'd be first in line for that as a student.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.