Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Offering flight lessons in a homebuilt?

Sign me up...

On the point raised on insurance companies not wanting to touch an experimental in a flying club, I have heard that joint ownership of a plane does not set off the same alarm bells as the word "club." So one solution would be to find a group of people interested in learning to fly and they, with or without the instructor pilot, purchase the aircraft. Then it is simply group ownership of the plane and there is absolutely no prohibition on receiving instruction in your own experimental, amateur-built aircraft, whether you built it yourself or not. You can also pay the instructor for his/her time. Just don't use the word "club" anywhere, something like "Sonex N12345 Owners Association."
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Only need liability anyway, since the 'students' are not going to be out any money in the event of a hull loss. Have to work fast, get the training knocked out before the cease and desist order arrives in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Only need liability anyway, since the 'students' are not going to be out any money in the event of a hull loss. Have to work fast, get the training knocked out before the cease and desist order arrives in the mail.
    Not breaking any laws no way they can make you "cease and desist".

Just curious, you have an examiner on board with this plan?
    Not yet. Are you an examiner?
    *** Life is Lead Points and Habit Patterns ***

Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    I'd certainly do it. Where in Virginia are you planning to do this?
    At KDAN or W78, both near the North Carolina border.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Long View Post
    On the point raised on insurance companies not wanting to touch an experimental in a flying club, I have heard that joint ownership of a plane does not set off the same alarm bells as the word "club." So one solution would be to find a group of people interested in learning to fly and they, with or without the instructor pilot, purchase the aircraft. Then it is simply group ownership of the plane and there is absolutely no prohibition on receiving instruction in your own experimental, amateur-built aircraft, whether you built it yourself or not. You can also pay the instructor for his/her time. Just don't use the word "club" anywhere, something like "Sonex N12345 Owners Association."
    That would seem the way to go. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    If a club would work why not start a club that is nation wide. Kinda like the EAA with chapters but have this a training club....Call It something like the...ATA.....Avaition Training Association.....

Each Chapter owns its bird and the CFI is paid through the ATA....
    This is a great idea. Might even call it the "ATA", as you suggested. Maybe we'll grow in size and influence; get the World's attention. Bring the E.U.'s anti-GA machine to a halt! Reverse the declining GA pilot trend. What could be more exciting?
    Last edited by WingsAloft; 12-05-2012 at 07:13 PM.

If someone wants to offer free flight training to the general public, they should buy a C-150 and go for it. Using a homebuilt won't make any difference.
    I may end up doing that if the stint in homebuilts fizzles. The reason homebuilts seem attractive is for a reduction in fuel costs, and thus flight training costs. Think 5 gph vs. 4 gph. I know it's not so much of a difference, but the savings are there. And think of when ( I shudder to ask) fuel hits $9.00 a gallon? That's when the difference between 4.9 and 4.2 gph will become a great issue, and I want to be in a position to offer affordable flight even then.
    Last edited by WingsAloft; 12-05-2012 at 07:30 PM.