Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: Offering flight lessons in a homebuilt?

  1. #1
    WingsAloft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    109

    Offering flight lessons in a homebuilt?

    I'm considering becoming a CFI and am wondering if it's illegal to flight train students in a homebuilt? What if you don't charge any hourly rate for the plane? Thanks.
    *** Life is Lead Points and Habit Patterns ***

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Clarklake, MI
    Posts
    1,281
    If you are providing a plane for flight training, it can not be a homebuilt. Limited exception for type specific training.

    No hourly rate for the plane and $200 /hr for your exceptional CFI skills won't fool anyone.

  3. #3
    FlyingRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CJR / NC26
    Posts
    993
    That is the FAA viewpoint, but oddly enough it's not what the regs say. It's one of those big stupidities. While the 100 HOUR rule says carrying passengers for hire OR flight instruction where the instructor provides the aircraft, the experimental prohibition is just "carrying passengers for hire." We've got contradictory interpretations saying that instruction is not "carrying passengers" (if you're just talking about the student alone). Go figure.
    The FAA never makes sense.

  4. #4
    WingsAloft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    If you are providing a plane for flight training, it can not be a homebuilt. Limited exeption for type specific training.
    Yeah, but I was wondering where in the regs it says that.
    Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    No hourly rate for the plane and $200 /hr for your exceptional CFI skills won't fool anyone.
    Yeah, but I guess I just wanna teach people to fly at $0 an hour, because all I care about is gettin' more of us up there. (or shall I say up here?)
    Last edited by WingsAloft; 12-02-2012 at 07:28 PM.
    *** Life is Lead Points and Habit Patterns ***

  5. #5
    WingsAloft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    That is the FAA viewpoint, but oddly enough it's not what the regs say. It's one of those big stupidities. While the 100 HOUR rule says carrying passengers for hire OR flight instruction where the instructor provides the aircraft, the experimental prohibition is just "carrying passengers for hire." We've got contradictory interpretations saying that instruction is not "carrying passengers" (if you're just talking about the student alone). Go figure.
    The FAA never makes sense.
    You've just nailed the issue. That's exactly what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by WingsAloft; 12-02-2012 at 07:30 PM.
    *** Life is Lead Points and Habit Patterns ***

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Clarklake, MI
    Posts
    1,281
    Quote Originally Posted by WingsAloft View Post
    Yeah, but I was wondering where in the regs it says that.
    91.319(a).

    Wondering if a student is a "passenger" (or ballast?) is irrelevant because the aircraft can't be used for anything other than it's intended purpose. A homebuilder can learn to fly in the airplane he builds. What he can't do is use the plane he builds and operate a flight training business. Even if he doesn't make any money doing it.

    Yeah, but I guess I just wanna teach people to fly at $0 an hour, because all I care about is gettin' more of us up there. (or shall I say up here?)
    Yea, I see what you're saying. I guess if you wanted, you could create a flying club with the airplane. Then you can sign up a bunch of non-pilot members and give them flight training so they can fly their plane. Plus you could get paid for your teaching.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    326
    Student or no, if a person on an aircraft is not a crewmember (on an aircraft requiring crew other than the PIC), then he's a passenger under the regulations.

    Flight instruction completely for free might be legal. Charging $200 per hour for instruction and providing the plane "for free" might sound legal, but if the FAA notices and decides to pursue an enforcement action, remember in any enforcement case they're the judge, jury, and executioner. You won't win.

    I've often heard the flying club idea proposed. Never heard of it being tested, though.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Clarklake, MI
    Posts
    1,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I've often heard the flying club idea proposed. Never heard of it being tested, though.
    The problem with a homebuilt in a flying club won't be with the FAA, it will be with insurance. Many insurance companies won't touch it.

  9. #9
    FlyingRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    CJR / NC26
    Posts
    993
    Ex Amateur built aircraft do not have any restrictions on their use in flying. The only requirement is they were CONSTRUCTED for educational/recreational purposes.

  10. #10
    steveinindy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,449
    Yeah, but I guess I just wanna teach people to fly at $0 an hour, because all I care about is gettin' more of us up there. (or shall I say up here?)
    I'd be first in line for that as a student.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

    "I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •