Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ron Scott

Ron Scott

There is a report in today's Janesville, WI Gazette that Ron G. Scott crashed in his experimental Ironsides XS-1, "Old Ironsides," at Air Troy Estates near East Troy, WI, yesterday afternoon while landing. After being extracted from the airplane by rescuers, he was taken to a Waukesha Hospital with head injuries. His condition is not known.

I've been to Air Troy Estates several times since a friend of mine has his airplanes there, but I never met Ron.

Lets hope he's OK.
    Last edited by Bill; 11-25-2012 at 01:02 PM.
    Bill

Ron and Old ironsides have been around EAA for many years, I still have the issue of Sport Aviation with the article about Ron and his plane.
    Let's hope he recovers from his injuries quickly.

I still have the issue of Sport Aviation with the article about Ron and his plane.
    Me too, always thought it was an interesting airplane. Hopefully injuries are not life threatening.

Here's a link to a picture of Old Ironsides after the accident in Walworth County Today. http://walworthcountytoday.com/news/...ash-east-troy/ Doesn't look too bad.
    Bill

I wish all the best to him. I am not certain, but I believe I met Ron a number of years back at Oshkosh.

Doesn't look too bad.
    Looks like it just nosed over. How much are you willing to be the "extrication" that was required simply of getting him out of the seat? The real determinant of how bad he was hurt would be if there were shoulder restraints in use and if they help up against the loads imparted.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

By the pics it looks like he "cartwheeled" the plane. You can see all the small pieces on the ground. A roll over or just flipped up on its back would not have all these peices spread as far as they are, and not have the plane still in one piece.

Wonder if this was a deadstick landing that went very bad?

Tony

Tony

By the pics it looks like he "cartwheeled" the plane. You can see all the small pieces on the ground. A roll over or just flipped up on its back would not have all these peices spread as far as they are, and not have the plane still in one piece.
    My money is that he stalled it just above the ground (above normal flare height), plopped into the ground nose first (producing the crushing damage you can see on the bottom of the cowling), then he nosed over and skidded to a stop turning about 90 degrees off to the side.

It would be more of a noseover than a "true" cartwheel which is normally more of a lateral flipping motion and would have bent the wings more. Not trying to split hairs or anything just probably we are using a differing set of definitions to describe it.

Wonder if this was a deadstick landing that went very bad?
    That is a distinct possibility because it would explain a nose low impact in the hands of an experienced pilot on extreme short final.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

Scotty is a member of my EAA chapter and has been a friend for a long time. I spoke to him on Sunday and he is a little banged up and sore but otherwise OK and in good spirits. As for the accident, much of what has been speculated about here is wrong, and I can provide a little insight. It was not a dead stick landing, he was making a normal landing at his home strip. On rollout, the bolt-on axle on the right gear failed and the wheel departed. The gear leg dug into the turf runway, with predictable and very rapid results.

I'll leave any further details, plans for the future etc. to Scotty to disclose if he wants to, but this should set the record straight about how the accident happened.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Point View Post
    Scotty is a member of my EAA chapter and has been a friend for a long time. I spoke to him on Sunday and he is a little banged up and sore but otherwise OK and in good spirits. As for the accident, much of what has been speculated about here is wrong, and I can provide a little insight. It was not a dead stick landing, he was making a normal landing at his home strip. On rollout, the bolt-on axle on the right gear failed and the wheel departed. The gear leg dug into the turf runway, with predictable and very rapid results.

I'll leave any further details, plans for the future etc. to Scotty to disclose if he wants to, but this should set the record straight about how the accident happened.

Thank you so very much for this up-date.... I say all the time...It just takes one bolt to come loose.... I will be going over every bolt on my bird...I hope he gets better quick, its great to hear the good news and I did not mean to be unrespectfull of this man, that was not my intent....Not at all.....Trying to learn from every mishap.....
    Again great to hear the news.

Tony

I'm just glad to hear that he is doing well. As Tony said, no disrespect intended.