Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad airport neighbors

Let me provide a contrarian view. There can be bad neighbors and there can be bad pilotage.

I live about one nautical mile north of a general aviation field. When I first moved here there was no control tower. All traffic (crosswind, downwind and base legs) was directed to be south side of the field. Life was good and the unknowing were not aware there was an airport nearby.

Along came a control tower that is not really needed. It was wasted taxpayer dollars in the interests of "safety". They now allow ops on the north side of the field. Which, is generally not a problem.

However, there are some pilots that make low inbound and outbound flights using lots of power. I really love it when a guy with a constant speed prop leaves it in fine pitch and takeoff power for ten minutes after departure. And then there are the helicoptors that seem to fly at tree top level if they want to. The professionally operated business jets are not the problem as they generally depart straight in and out. It is the piston powered boys.

So, as a pilot and as a home owner I am at cross purposes. I cannot support the airport any longer given their failure to take into consideration my concerns. They don't care about me. I can't care about them. If there was a vote to now close the field (which won't happen) I would vote for closure.

Our privately owned airport has been in existance for about 45 years. When we heard that there was to be a large subdivision built just to the north of our airport(N/S Runway), we went to the zoning meeting as a large group. We were successful in getting the developer to show the airport location on the subdivision map, it had to be included in the home owner association information and it had to be noted in every deed that there was an airport adjoining the subdivision and that the subdivision was under the flight pattern for the airport. We have had no problem in 5 years. Now they are going to build one just west of our airport. We again were successful in getting the same stipulations that were in the previous subdivision's requirement to get the zoning. In addition we were able to get the developer to agree to build a 6' chain link fence along the western boundary of our airport as a safety feature to keep kids from coming on the airport property to ride 4-wheelers, etc. on our nice grass runway. Kids are welcome to come to the airport, just not with 4-wheelers, dirt bikes, etc. So far, we have survived with no problems from our neighbors. Also, in Louisiana, it is a law that real estate agents must inform potential buyers if there is an airport or any other hazardous activity in the vicinity. And Jethro, in my opinion, you must not be much of a pilot if you would vote to close an airport.
    Last edited by Richard Warner; 11-29-2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: incorrect spelling.

Our local airport was there long before a housing boom in the area; they solved the problem by putting in noise abatement areas - something Jethro needs to push for.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Hey Turbo!,

Did you shoot those photo's from your 'Copter? You may have broken the 500 foot rule, but it was worth the risk!!!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe LaMantia View Post
    Hey Turbo!,

Did you shoot those photo's from your 'Copter? You may have broken the 500 foot rule, but it was worth the risk!!!

Joe
    500' rule doesn't apply to choppers, PPCs, or weightshift...

Name:  img0314ip.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  64.9 KBhelis rule, less rules, not really, more fun, more $$$$$$.
    Ed DArcy 'Turbo'
    R-44 N7511G 1,300 hrs / RV-6 N26ED 4,700 hrs / helicycle 100 hrs
    Stuart, FL Hartford,Ct Virgin Gorda, BVI

New Jersey actually made it law that restricts zoning around airports, though people challenge it continually.
    What is particularly stupid is that people think that putting 4 dwelling units per acre+ is a less intensive development than putting an industrial park around the airport. Obviously haven't figured out what a few vehicles 9-5 is compared to a gazillion residential travellers all hours of the day.

Amusingly, one of my neighbors on the airpark, who had to drive THROUGH the airpark to get to their house on the lake, never realized that there was a runway just over their house for quite some time after they moved in.

Well those copter rules or lack of that one support a bumper sticker "Copter Pilots Have More Fun!" Now Turbo, go find a nude beach!

Joe

I have to offer a word of caution to our helicopter friends about operating altitudes.

14 CFR 91.119 includes the sub-paragraph

"(d) Helicopters. Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraphs (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface."

It is the "without hazard" clause where the lawyers will get you. That is, if you are at an altitude where you can not auto-rotate to a landing without endangering a civilian on the ground, you are technically in violation. I had to speak to some helicopter folks who were flying over my neighborhood at night at 500' and causing distress among my neighbors. Since I live at a small airport amongst some hills, plus they were flying across the end of the runway at 500' without communicating on our CTAF, in the dark as well as during daylight hours, 14 CFR 91.126(b)(2) was in question also. They don't do that any more.

The sum total is that we learn that not all of the folks on the ground appreciate low level flying, regardless of the type of equipment. I regret that these days, if you are aerially perusing the bathing beauties at the local beach, someone is calling the local airport complaining. So if your local airport has neighbors complaining, we all should look in the mirror and make sure that we are not part of the problem.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,

Wes
    N78PS

I had a supervisery position with a RW operator at a S Loisianna airport a few years ago and someone brought me a document to read. It was a disclosure from a developer addressed to prospective buyers in a developement planned for an ag field accross the street from our facility. There was a place for a buyer to sign to acknowlege notice that there was an airport very close. The developement was started less than 500 feet from our ramp. Also the same distance from a second operator. 1,000' from a third. All operators conducted day/night and predawn operations with various types to include transport types over 17,500 lbs and 3500 HP.

Operations are conducted in accordance with Letters of Agreement (LOAs) that require landing RW ac to be down to 500 agl 10 miles out. Further more, inbound and outbound routes are laid out to permit FW ac in the pattern to operate over the top of RW ac. Many of the RW ac are multi engine, therefore an engine failure does not always require a pilot to consider the underlying terrain. A transition to OEI is done rather than an autorotation. Of course, If traffic permits ops can usully be conducted from the runways.

I made routine approaches to landing in ME ac over the first houses being built. I made my approaches as steep as I safely could, and still cleared rooftops with roofers on them with about 150'. This was done in accordance with the LOAs and with tower clearance. There seemed to be no alternative except to cease operations. Also, amphibs make an earsplitting racket when departing from the nearby RW with their props at max RPM. You would have to be nuts to buy a house in that neighborhood.

Bob