Thread: De-registered Aircraft N-Number

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks for the reply Reif. I basically used your format. Also I did get a hold of the FAA this morning via phone and was told the N-Number could not be released until the purge date. 2 hours later I have an email with directions on exactly what I need to do to get the N-Number registered to me. Gotta love conflicting correspondences.

Anyway, the FAA says that the only time an N-Number can be smoothly transferred is at the time the aircraft registration is cancelled. If the previous owner did not give the FAA $10 to re-reserve their N-Number, a request can be submitted at a later date with $10 from the previous owner of the de-registered aircraft stating basically that they forgot to re-register the number.

Then they must have a letter stating that they want to relinquish their N-number to the interested party (Me!). Now I have to send a letter in writing requesting to reserve my desired N-Number. And also give them $10.

The FAA considers this a special case and will now "review" the request and decide whether or not to honor it.

Today I made my packet of letters, collected the $10 from the previous owner, put in my $10 and tomorrow it will be shipped of to Oklahoma all in one envelope! I will update later with my FAA emails and results of my request so that it can be archived for future interested people.

Glad it worked out KJ.

Have fun with your RV 10 project!

Well as an update, the FAA cashed my $10 check today. I haven't been contacted or heard anything from them, but I will take the cashing of my $10 check as a good sign.