Thread: De-registered Aircraft N-Number

De-registered Aircraft N-Number

I was wondering if anyone has had success in securing an N-number that belongs to a de-registered aircraft. I hope to be starting an RV-10 project in the near future and I'd really like N217AW. 217AW is under a two year hold now and as per my contact with the FAA Aircraft Registry "The only way to get it out of hold is to have the previous registered owner of that number submit a request to relinquish the number to you."

They provided no additional information or direction on how to do that. I'm still relatively close with the old owner and they already said they would do whatever they could to help me secure that N-number. I haven't heard back from the Aircraft Registry for some time now so I was wondering if anyone here has had any luck and might be able to give me some direction.

I've tried to search around the internet to find an answer, but nothing yet.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by KJ Hamblin; 08-23-2011 at 12:02 PM.

The number I reserved belonged to a de-registered (exported) aircraft, but it was listed as "available" on the FAA's website. If the old owner of the number you want is willing to write a letter relinquishing it all you should have to do is send his letter in with your request & a check.

I figure it will be something pretty easy like that. I'm just not sure what info the FAA needs in the letter and I wish they would let me know. I'm going to try to call them again, but every time that I have called its been busy.

Well, as expected, the line was busy when I called. What I did find interesting is that when I tried to call again at 3:30pm Central Time I received "The office is closed, please call during regular business hours." Mind you they are supposed to be available until 4pm.

Someone went home early.

Anyway, even if no one can answer the question I will keep this thread updated so the solution will get archived somewhere on the internet.

How to de-register an aircraft

Write to the FAA with the request. Here is the format to use.

Hope this helps.

RL

============================

FAA Aircraft Registration Branch, AFS-750
    Fax: 405-954-8068

FAA Aircraft Registration Branch, AFS-750
    Registry Building Room 118
    6425 South Denning
    Oklahoma City, OK 73169-6937

FAA Aircraft Registration Branch,

Please cancel the registration of the following aircraft:
    Serial Number: ######## [Fill in]
    Manufacturer: [Manufacturer / or name of builder]
    Model: [Fill in]

This aircraft was [lost, stolen, exported, destroyed, a kit that was never completed, or other reason for de-registration. OR: This number was reserved but never assigned to an aircraft. Please release the reservation.]

Sincerely,

[Signed]

[Printed owner's name]
    [Date]

Thanks for the reply Reif. I basically used your format. Also I did get a hold of the FAA this morning via phone and was told the N-Number could not be released until the purge date. 2 hours later I have an email with directions on exactly what I need to do to get the N-Number registered to me. Gotta love conflicting correspondences.

Anyway, the FAA says that the only time an N-Number can be smoothly transferred is at the time the aircraft registration is cancelled. If the previous owner did not give the FAA $10 to re-reserve their N-Number, a request can be submitted at a later date with $10 from the previous owner of the de-registered aircraft stating basically that they forgot to re-register the number.

Then they must have a letter stating that they want to relinquish their N-number to the interested party (Me!). Now I have to send a letter in writing requesting to reserve my desired N-Number. And also give them $10.

The FAA considers this a special case and will now "review" the request and decide whether or not to honor it.

Today I made my packet of letters, collected the $10 from the previous owner, put in my $10 and tomorrow it will be shipped of to Oklahoma all in one envelope! I will update later with my FAA emails and results of my request so that it can be archived for future interested people.

Glad it worked out KJ.

Have fun with your RV 10 project!

Well as an update, the FAA cashed my $10 check today. I haven't been contacted or heard anything from them, but I will take the cashing of my $10 check as a good sign.