Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trying to locate an odd fastener....

These are "Hi-Torque" bolts manufactured the by Hi-Shear Corp. They are best known as the makers of "hi-lok" fasteners. Look at the attached web page:

http://www.hi-shear.com/fastener_ht.htm

Cheers,
    Kurt

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Flunkn View Post
    These are "Hi-Torque" bolts manufactured the by Hi-Shear Corp. They are best known as the makers of "hi-lok" fasteners. Look at the attached web page:

http://www.hi-shear.com/fastener_ht.htm

Cheers,
    Kurt
    Kurt, I notedwhile looking at the drawings of the fastener that there can be a "o" ring present on it when called for. Because the fastener must be removable ( unlike other areas that use sealant ) Do you suppose the "o" ring is used to help maintain cockpit pressurization?

Quote Originally Posted by RV8505 View Post
    Kurt, I noted while looking at the drawings of the fastener that there can be a "o" ring present on it when called for. Because the fastener must be removable ( unlike other areas that use sealant ) Do you suppose the "o" ring is used to help maintain cockpit pressurization?
    The trim piece I'm working with is outsize the pressurization section. I can scan the page in the -4 if you guys are really curious about it.

Kurt, I'll contact Hi-Shear today and see if they can help me. Thanks for the help! (all of you!)

I also want to add that if any of you folks are in the Pacific Northwest and would like to check out the F-15, you're more than welcome to! Just send me a PM so we can make arrangements.

g.
    Last edited by f15sim; 11-29-2012 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by f15sim View Post
    The trim piece I'm working with is outsize the pressurization section. I can scan the page in the -4 if you guys are really curious about it.

Kurt, I'll contact Hi-Shear today and see if they can help me. Thanks for the help! (all of you!)

g.
    I sent you some countersinks, draw clecos and a cherrymax grip gauge yesterday. Reduced head screws, I didn't have any, aircraft spruce didn't have any, but I would bet http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/ would have some. Their web site is down but I bet he would have reduced head screws. Hi-shear is going to be expensive. You better sit down when they give you a quote.

I sent a email to Rick G on the Van's airforce web site. Rick is a sheetmetal man and built f-15s. Hopefully he'll show up here and shed some light on the where and why of that fastener.

Thanks a ton RV8505. I contacted Wesco Aircraft (they're the local rep for Hi-Shear) and I'm waiting to hear back.

aaaaaaand SCOOOORE! Those fine folks at Genuine Aircraft had the parts! They're in an offset cruiciform head, but they had drive bits too so there we go.

Thanks all!

g.

Quote Originally Posted by f15sim View Post
    Thanks a ton RV8505. I contacted Wesco Aircraft (they're the local rep for Hi-Shear) and I'm waiting to hear back.

aaaaaaand SCOOOORE! Those fine folks at Genuine Aircraft had the parts! They're in an offset cruiciform head, but they had drive bits too so there we go.

Thanks all!

g.

Just for my own information I would still like to know the what, where, and why they are slotted like that and application especially with one with the o ring?
    Last edited by RV8505; 11-29-2012 at 03:15 PM.

I suspect the slot design has to do with being able to put a lot of torque on the screw and not have the driver bit jump out of the screw head. The coin slot bit has a bit of a dovetail on the end of it and you slide the driver in from the side, not insert it perpendicular to the face. I couldn't tell you what the O ring is all about - it's not present in the fasteners that I've removed.

From what I hear from a friend of mine, Grumman was a big fan of those little monsters too.

g.