Thread: Best portable intercom?

Best portable intercom?

Hi guys. I'm looking to buy a portable, two place intercom for use in NORDO airplanes. It doesn't need to have ATC capability, just the ability for pilot and passenger to talk.

The Sigtronics ones seem to be popular, but reviews are mixed. Anyone have experience with these (any make/model)?

I have two of the sigtronics SPO portables. They're nice solid units. I bought the four place when I first started flying again because headsets and intercoms hadn't yet become de rigeur and yet and I didn't need to lose any more of my hearing. I subsequently found a two place for $25 and I snatched it up.

I don't even remember where the thing is now. The last time I used it was when my brother and I went to see a NASCAR race and we wore the aviation headsets and jacked the scanner into the intercom and we could talk and listen during the race.

Weaver Cub:

Check out the Flighttech ITC-401TC. People told me a voice activated intercom would not be usable in an open cockpit aircraft, but this Flighttech model works well in my Fisher Celebrity. I also use a mike muff and wind noise is further reduced by simply cupping a hand in front of the mike when speaking. Here's a link to the company web page:

http://www.flighttech.com/index.htm

Don

Thanks for the references, guys. I'll take a look at those.