Thread: proper bungee cord selection

proper bungee cord selection

Can anyone tell me how to determine the proper bungee cord selection. The cords have a weight indication on them. Is that the max tension weight, or the failure weight, or ?
    My Avid Magnum gear has no shock movement at all. All the landing loads are absorbed by the tires.

That sounds like a question for Google to answer. If not, when you get to Oshkosh this Summer, somebody will know.

I would go to manufacturer to see what is recommended. AC 43-13 shows color coding to be date codes, not weight indication. Having changed a bunch of them in my mechanical lifetime on different planes, the manufacturer set the part number of the cord required. I am sure someone at Oshkosh will have an opinion contrary to this one. Good luck.

Bill L

MIL-C-5651D is the specification for bungee cords. The nose gear strut on my AMD CH601XLi SLSA uses a 1080HD. The 10 is 10/16" (or 5/8") cross section, and the 80 is 8" ID in a perfect circle. The regular 1080 has a test strength of 750 pounds, while the 1080HD has a test strength of 900 pounds.

Link to MIL-C-5651D spec:

https://www.milspecmonkey.com/materi...shockcord).pdf

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty catalog link:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...hock_rings.php

Scooper to the rescue!

Thank you, sir, for one of the most concise and helpful answers I've read in awhile.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.