Thread: "FLIGHT" Movie

"FLIGHT" Movie

I went to see Flight last night. Man, it is gritty and I left before the end, it was just too much of watching someone drowning in alcohol. Defintiely not one to take the kids to.
    The idea of him being a great pilot, if you only look at stick and rudder skills, and not judgement, is secondary in the story to the addiction which owns him.
    There can't be much worse feeling than when he is rejected by his son since he is still drunk, especially since he seems to have been close to his own Dad and respects him.

I have never once flown after drinking, and won't. I doubt if very many crew would allow an airline pilot to take off when that impaired. I do personally know of an airline pilot some years back that had a drinking problem when off duty, but never heard of it when flying. I have heard, but not seen, of another such pilot, but don't know him personally.

I won't give away the plot as for as the flying part so as not to spoil it for anyone. It is of course, overdone re the Hollywood treatment; however almost the same thing actually happened to former British national acro champ Neil Wiliams, but in a small acro plane, a Zlinn I think, and not an airliner. Neil walked away. His book about flying the old and special planes is a great read.

Has anyone else seen this movie? And don't take anyone who is even a little bit afraid of airplanes!

Bill,

You left too early. The last scene is with his son and him. I won't say anymore not wanting to spoil the ending for anyone.

I might add, it's also not a movie you want to take children too. Unless you want to get them an anatomy lesson with the full frontal female nudity in the first few minutes of the movie. The whole alcoholism them is pretty dark as well.

bob
    Last edited by rleffler; 11-15-2012 at 10:55 AM.
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Is that a remake of "The Pilot" starring Cliff Robertson? I thought that was a fairly good movie. Even if you didn't like the movie, there's no denying that Mr. Robertson had great taste in airplanes!

No, as for as I know this movie has nothing to do with Cliff Robertson, but it does seem to be along the same lines. When you say "a fairly good movie" do you mean The Pilot or this new one The Flight?This movie may be good, in a critics way, but it isn't pleasant to watch.
    I knew Cliff, though not well, and first met him at an aviation event in Carefree, Az in 1995. We got to see him a few times at Oshkosh over the last few years before he passed away. He was interesting and a nice guy. Ladies seemed to like him also, at least the ones older than the Tom Cruise era.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 11-14-2012 at 06:38 PM.

Met Robertson twice, once at an NAA event and once at Oshkosh. The second event he greeted me like a long lost friend. He was definitely getting up there in age but sharp as a tack.

I have been very anxious to see this movie, but it has not yet come to my local theatre.
    I've heard the film is generating some Oscar buzz, both for best picture, and for Denzel as leading actor. Think it is that good?

Denzel is good in the part. He is playing a man who is getting older and who has lost 3 people already in his life and is owned by booze. He is very convincing in that part, and I think Hollywood loves sad loser movies. I'd bet $100 he gets nominated, and as for his winning I think it depends on the competiton which can be very good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    No, as for as I know this movie has nothing to do with Cliff Robertson, but it does seem to be along the same lines. When you say "a fairly good movie" do you mean The Pilot or this new one The Flight?This movie may be good, in a critics way, but it isn't pleasant to watch.
    I knew Cliff, though not well, and first met him at an aviation event in Carefree, Az in 1995. We got to see him a few times at Oshkosh over the last few years before he passed away. He was interesting and a nice guy. Ladies seemed to like him also, at least the ones older than the Tom Cruise era.
    Sorry about the confusion. I was saying I liked the movie "The Pilot" which, I believe, came out in 1980 and starred Cliff Robertson as an alcoholic airline pilot. I don't know if I'll watch the new movie, it sounds a little depressing!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Met Robertson twice, once at an NAA event and once at Oshkosh. The second event he greeted me like a long lost friend. He was definitely getting up there in age but sharp as a tack.
    True story. We were at the Fly In Theater a few years ago -- back when it was a little more grassrootsy and people could camp along the dirt road -- sitting with my friend at his A-frame camper as the movie -- a Cliff Robertson flick -- was starting. Cars could travel up that dirt road (from some camping spots) and the headlights were shining in our eyes as we sat trying to watch the movie.

There was a guy in the middle of the road walking, which kept the cars from passing and that kept the headlights shining in our eyes.

"Come on! Get out of the way," my friend shouting at the guy, who was having a difficult time walking by himself.

It was Cliff Robertson.

He sat down with us and didn't say much but very much wanted the bottle of water we offered.

So there we sat. My friend, me, and Cliff Robertson, watching a Cliff Robertson movie for a few minutes until he got up, thanked us for the hospitality and moved on.