Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Real Cost to build 60'x60' hangar

Quote Originally Posted by flyboycpa View Post
    My hangar....doesn't have a heated floor.... I'm sure it would be nice, but not an absolute necessity here.
    Heated floors are great, but my hangar doesn't have one either. I have heat in my insulated hangar and the next best thing to a heated floor: They were replacing the carpeting in our terminal and I snagged two 12'X25' sections of the old carpet and put it in my hangar. The carpet adds an insulation layer that keeps your feet warm in the winter and if I drop a nut or a screw while working on my plane, it generally stays where it falls and doesn't roll to the far corner of the hangar where I'll never see it again.

We have over head radiant heat, keep it at 55 unless we are working. It makes thing warm to the touch in about 10 minutes and is very nice here in Northern Illinois, and not too terrible costly either. No, it does not heat the floor under the plane but as it is always 55 it is not bad at all. However there are 3 of us in a 60' by 60'. One Debinair, one C 140, one C 182 in parts and one Smith Mini plane also in parts at least for few months yet. The goal is to have the mini at Oshkosh 2013.

L
    Last edited by Larry Lyons; 11-11-2012 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
    No matter how far you push the envelope; its still stationary!

I was contemplating the same thing three years ago in Florence Oregon. I felt I could pencil it out around $70k to $80k (plus my time to orchastrate) for a 50 x 50 with bifold doors, insulated, non heated floors. My background comes from development and construction, which does have a benifit on conctruction materials. My decision came easy as there There was a brand new hangar on the field and on the market for one year. That being said I made an offer for $80k, which they accepted and also held paper for two years. Moral of the story if they are asking $100k don't be afraid to offer. $80k. However I tried the same strategy at KPLU and was unsuccessful as there was a higher demand for hangars.

Quote Originally Posted by 2VW View Post
    I was contemplating the same thing three years ago in Florence Oregon. I felt I could pencil it out around $70k to $80k (plus my time to orchastrate) for a 50 x 50 with bifold doors, insulated, non heated floors. My background comes from development and construction, which does have a benifit on conctruction materials. My decision came easy as there There was a brand new hangar on the field and on the market for one year. That being said I made an offer for $80k, which they accepted and also held paper for two years. Moral of the story if they are asking $100k don't be afraid to offer. $80k. However I tried the same strategy at KPLU and was unsuccessful as there was a higher demand for hangars.
    I'm lucky to have my own strip on my farm and built an all steel 50'X40' hangar with a 44' Schweiss Bi-Fold Door. The building was erected by the company I bought it from Total cost including plumbing, wiring done by a commercial electrician, and insulating it complete and ready to use including a 50' X 25' pad in front. The permit was $200 since I told the idiots it was a barn and they didn't require an inspection. I've had my Cessna 180 along with a 182 in it along with a car with no problem. Also had my 180 and Champ in it for a long time. Total cost at the time(1996) was right at $40,000, so whatever inflation has done to the once almighty dollar's loss of value has to be added to that cost.

I'm in NC and the heated floor is the cats meow. The nice thing about the hydronic floor heat is that it recovers quickly after you close the hangar door.
    Unfortunately my hangar in colder CJR isn't heated (I've got a Tannis on a cell phone interface).

In 2004 I built a 30x40 hangar just for the airplane. (Beech Sundowner at the time, now Mooney). I bought (on sale in Feb) a COVER-IT 30x40 shelter. At the time it was c$5K. I had the 30x40 pad poured for $3K. Add 1K for ground work, electric and hoist for the door plus misc and I had 4 other pilots help install it on one weekend. 2 days.
    It has been great. The front door now is due to be replaced this summer. I estimate 2K I'll get a quote from Shelter-logic (they took over Cover-it) and a local shelter company.
    The 2nd picture down on the right is mine:
    http://www.shelterlogic.com/Content....eName=Aviation
    I sealed the floor with a clear 2 part sealer that has not worn off.
    No floor heat needed here in NC. I have used a Kerosun heater to take the chill off when working in the winter.
    My neighbors built theirs from US STEEL. They are 40x40 quanset hut like buildings with over 5000 bolts. Double the cost I think.
    I'm real happy with it. The county considers it a "temporary-portable" structure so no tax.
    BILL

I have built two hangars in the past eight years...my experiences as to cost here in Arkansas. Building cost (I used Heritage) at ~10$ per sq ft...yours would thus be 36,000$.
    Cost for slab, including footers, rebar and wire cloth at ~4$ per sq ft...yours would be 14,400$. Cost for assembly at ~3$ per sq ft...yours would be 10,800$.
    Bifold doors (I used Smiths) most are around 6 to 8K for 40 footer. Total of the above...69,200$. We have been using 20$ per foot for a bare/empty hangar to all new/potential buyers at our Airpark.
    You can easily spend way more...but if you are your own Contractor, hire carefully, it can be done.
    Ken boling

Ken you beat me by $800 you must have seen my number

Just wanted to revive this thread. I'm looking to build a 60x60 hangar in private land in Michigan. I was looking at morton buildings or steel. Just wondering what we are looking at for prices for morton... 18' ceilings, insulated with a small bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by tankerclown View Post
    Just wanted to revive this thread. I'm looking to build a 60x60 hangar in private land in Michigan. I was looking at morton buildings or steel. Just wondering what we are looking at for prices for morton... 18' ceilings, insulated with a small bathroom.
    All I can do id highly recommend Morton. My hangar is 60 X 72, 14' walls, Horton stack door. I did all the wiring, air lines and gas lines for the radiant heaters. I screwed up by not having it insulated. The building, door, & concrete cost 30K, in 1995.

My commercial building is also a Morton building (insulated, lol). 42 X 75, 12' walls. This building in 2000 was 75K.

Morton isn't the cheapest way to go, you know the old saying, "you get what you pay for".
    I think the main thing I like about Morton is, you buy from a Morton salesman, it's delivered on a Morton truck, it's erected by a Morton crew. You have an issue with something on the building, they take care of it, no finger pointing.

I had a couple of roof leaks on my hangar (22years old) a few months ago. I called the Morton guys, were there within a couple of days. I think the bill was 65.00 or 70.00.