Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Real Cost to build 60'x60' hangar

And for goodness sakes, if you're not building it at the County Airport it's a barn. A barn. A storage building. A barn. A workshop. A garage. A barn.

Say it with me....a barn.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Yes its a barn or storage shed not a hangar. A friend just built one. Its a poll style building with metal sides and concrete floor. He paid in total a little over 10 grand for the completed building and floor. He put sliding doors on it. This is on a farm not an airport. I also believe this to be a 40x40 building.

Tony

Thanks for the input. So to correct my previous post, I'm building a storage building! It might have an airplane stored in it from time to time. Thanks for the morton info. I just talked to a salesman today to get the ball rolling. I was hoping to stay in the 60k range for an insulated 60x60x18. I'll report back. I'm also looking at a wick steel building. Sounds like they do all the details as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tankerclown View Post
    Thanks for the input. So to correct my previous post, I'm building a storage building! It might have an airplane stored in it from time to time. Thanks for the morton info. I just talked to a salesman today to get the ball rolling. I was hoping to stay in the 60k range for an insulated 60x60x18. I'll report back. I'm also looking at a wick steel building. Sounds like they do all the details as well.
    If you go with Morton, list me as a referral.lol

I was just quoted 9500 for a 42x16 bi fold and 9900 for a 44x16. 15k for a hydraulic higher power door, installed. Are these legitimate prices?

Depends on where you are. In the northeast that number is very low. But your location might permit lighter construction. Will the plans have an engineer's stamp on it?

Best of luck,

Wes

I built a 60 X 80 hangar at my (then) airpark. Sewer, water and electrical was nearby. It had a 20 X 40 air conditioned office with 1 1/2 bathrooms, small kitchen, dry walled walls, open ceiling, lots of lights and electrical. Frame stucco. hydraulic door from Schweiss. Granted , it was pretty spiffy but not the showcase others have built. Cost was $350,000 5 years ago. It was featured on the Schweiss site for a while. https://www.bifold.com/photo-of-the-...cco-hangar.php

Alas, it went away in the divorce. Know why divorce is so expensive? Because it's worth it
    Last edited by Sirota; 06-20-2017 at 09:12 PM.

Um, that's a house inside a hangar.

And congratulations on being positioned to spend that kind of dough on a hangar!
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Um, that's a house inside a hangar.

And congratulations on being positioned to spend that kind of dough on a hangar!

Then, give it all away.
    That could have been the reason for the divorce

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Say it with me....a barn.
    Your plane is also a COW.. say it with me... a cow.

Paint COW across the side, so the hillbilly hicks won't mistake it for a flying reindeer and shoot at it...

~

I found a collapsing 40x30 pole barn workshop abandoned in the woods with no road any longer leading into it, and the roofing is still excellent on it, so that's going to be my 'free' hanger, I just need to buy some land and relocate it piece by piece, and acquire some new telephone poles because there's no way I'm pulling those ones out... they can be abandoned in place. The rest of the timber and siding I'll scavenging from abandoned sharecropper houses or people post trailers or sheds they want torn down for free on Craigslist all the time so I'm not too worried about getting the rest of the raw materials. I'd like a concrete floor in it, but I've seen my dad pour one or two using a mixer that shows up, and I really don't want to go through that. I think a concrete floor raises your taxes too, so I'll probably just put down some pea gravel or something.

Originally I wanted to make my hanger like a huge rec room with the plane as the centerpiece, with a black and white checkerboard floor, since I have all the furniture for it already (couches, pool tables, arcade machines, etc)... but I'm thinking... meh, I don't really have any friends to hang out with there, and it's going to be in a boring location so... just park the plane in there and be done with it, I don't want to hang around in the hanger. I probably won't even bother running electricity to it. One less monthly recurring bill.
    Last edited by choppergirl; 06-21-2017 at 01:16 PM.