Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real Cost to build 60'x60' hangar

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Real Cost to build 60'x60' hangar

Hey all,

I'm enlisting your help to determine the true "finished" costs of the possibility of a hangar at my home airport. I've seen many offers by companies online and in Trade-a-Plane for the basic "box". Other than that, what else am I looking at, and at what rough cost. I'm assuming I'll be looking at a bi-fold door, too.

Is it realistically doable at $70k, or less?? I'm not looking for an apartment-type or anything fancy. Just basic polished, epoxy-coated floor.

Well, figure out your required quantity of materials and go from there. For example, a cubic yard of concrete from a commercial source (delivered in a mixer truck) will run you about $100-125. Whether you are willing/able to do the building yourself is going to make a huge difference.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

60 x 60 for $70k.......that works out to ~$19 sq/ft, so I'd put that into fantasy land category.

Depending on what airport you want to put it on, building codes, etc. a metal building or pole barn style building with a concrete floor is going to be in the $35-40 sq/ft range. And that's on the low side.
    Last edited by martymayes; 11-08-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Another data point:
    $125K for a 60x50x14 R&M hangar with a 45 ft wide Hydroswing door and heated floor. That's the complete price including permits, fees, concrete, and labor. The steel and door from R&M cost approx $40K. That was the 2008 cost.
    Other items included in the build cost:
    Basic electric installation - 2 lighting circuits and 8 outlet boxes.
    Natural gas service to the floor heater.
    Water roughed in and sewer connected.
    60x40 asphalt pad in front of the hangar.
    One firewall with 3 layers of 5/8" drywall.
    Glossy concrete floor but not epoxied.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Another data point:
    $125K for a 60x50x14 R&M hangar

~$41 sq/ft. For all the options and extras, that was a good deal.

Epoxy floor alone will be several thousand if you have it done. 50 X 60s went for $112K here 8 years ago. That's $37 a square foot. I think you can double your $70K and be close.

I built a 60 X 80 hangar at my (then) airpark. Sewer, water and electrical was nearby. It had a 20 X 40 air conditioned office with 1 1/2 bathrooms, small kitchen, dry walled walls, open ceiling, lots of lights and electrical. Frame stucco. hydraulic door from Schweiss. Granted , it was pretty spiffy but not the showcase others have built. Cost was $350,000 5 years ago. It was featured on the Schweiss site for a while. https://www.bifold.com/photo-of-the-...cco-hangar.php

Alas, it went away in the divorce. Know why divorce is so expensive? Because it's worth it
    Last edited by Sirota; 06-20-2017 at 09:12 PM.

Um, that's a house inside a hangar.

And congratulations on being positioned to spend that kind of dough on a hangar!
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Um, that's a house inside a hangar.

And congratulations on being positioned to spend that kind of dough on a hangar!

Then, give it all away.
    That could have been the reason for the divorce

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirota View Post
    Know why divorce is so expensive? Because it's worth it
    Know why husbands die before their wives? They want to!

No judgement honestly but a $350K hangar for a $30K airplane sounds a little disporportionate.

Was your ex so retributional that she wanted to take away your airplane's home? What was she going to do with a hangar without an airplane? I assume she sold it for the cash. Whoa, what did you do to get her so pissed? These are just rhetorical questions as I'm sure you're not interested in answering which I understand. Hope your life is going well now.