Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flying across the border with Light Sport

Ah. Europe would be relatively (key word there) easier because of the unified airspace and standards in place for the most part. Given the expected range for my design, it would not be hard to go trans-Atlantic (with the normal GA stops) and if I have the means and availability to do so, then I plan to do so. It's not like I'm going to be puttering around with non-certified avionics or anything short of a turboprop engine so I don't see any reason why I won't be able to do so.

Where it might be an issue is if I get a wild hare up my butt and decide to go beyond Europe to explore. That could be an administrative challenge.

So I can't legally fly a LS from one state to another as in the case of Washington State or Montana to Alaska because another country stands in my way. BULL!!!!!!!!!!! Politics is crazy and Politicians need to remember who they work for.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Warner View Post
    BULL!!!!!!!!!!! Politics is crazy and Politicians need to remember who they work for.
    Last time I checked, the Canadian politicians don't work for us.

Flying Across the Border with Light Sport

Canada has had a version of Light Sport Pilot before the USA. It is called a Recreatioal Pilot Permit, not to be confused with the USA Recreational Permit (license).
    In Canada a PPL pilot can drop down to a Rec Permit and still fly anywhere in Canada with one passenger in an uncomplicated aircraft like a Cessna 150 or 172
    using a self declared medical (endorsed by a family physician), day time only.
    It allows use of a larger A/C and other minor differences than the LSA and because it is not recognised by the FAA Canadians who have been flying in Canada for many years with a Rec Permit are not allowed to fly in the US.
    Because these 2 documents, LSA and Rec Permit, basically allow identical flying privileges in each of our countries, we should be pressuring our respective
    politicians (and FAA, Transport Canada) to allow reciprical privileges across our border. And don't kid yourselves it won't happen without pressure.

A person who has a Canadian Recreational Pilot Permit in addition to their US Light Sport Pilot license is qualified to fly in both countries. Would they not also be allowed to fly back and forth? One can fly an ultralight aircraft across the border easily enough. I believe US LSA can be operated in Canada as long as they have an individually issued Special Flight Authorization (contact a Transport Canada Centre for an individual validation of the aircraft's flight authority). Again, the only other requirement to fly an LSA in Canada is a Private Pilot Certificate which is your RPP (in Canada, it's not called a license). Just throwing that out there to see if this is a viable option.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I suspect that can be summed up in two words: "tourism dollars."
    And from the situations being described by the originator of this thread, I'd expect that same reason (Americans choosing not to visit cabins in Canada, not buy gas for their airplanes there, and generally not spending any of the money people will spend on vacations) will eventually become big enough for Canada to take action. Or not. The Bahamas are much more tourist-driven.
    Murphy's 13th: Every solution breeds new problems...

http://www.spoonworld.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Witherspoon View Post
    And from the situations being described by the originator of this thread, I'd expect that same reason (Americans choosing not to visit cabins in Canada, not buy gas for their airplanes there, and generally not spending any of the money people will spend on vacations) will eventually become big enough for Canada to take action. Or not.

I'm saying NOT. The number of non-medical SP's or those flying LS aircraft under SPL rules wanting to fly into Canada is so minute as to not even register on the lost tourism dollars scale. So that's not an economic factor that's going to influence any possible rule change.

It's certainly not incumbent upon Transport Canada to change any rules to a category of licensing that doesn't exist in the country in the first place. As well, The LSA does not exist as a category of aircraft. It's therefore also difficult to import and register any LSA in Canada and manufacturers are losing a good sized market as a result(as of the latest 2008 figures, there are 70,854 Canadian pilot licences and permits held making Canada the 2nd largest population of pilots in the world). However, I and some others have found an obscure licensing reg that could bring one in and a Transport Canada official has confirmed this could work. Furthermore, Transport Canada has let it be known that considering LSA is not even on the horizon as they believe that the RPP and Advanced Ultralight licence already covers most of what LSA sport pilot is all about.

If non-medicaled U.S. LS pilots want to foster a Canadian rule change re medicals then it is incumbent upon you to bring it to the attention of EAA, AOPA or your appropriate elected officials to lobby the FAA to get a bilateral agreement/exemption with Transport Canada.

I also suspect there is another major issue that is likely just as much a barrier to both US non-medical and medicaled pilots wanting to fly to Canada. US citizens require a Passport to fly TO Canada. YOU DON'T NEED A PASSPORT TO ENTER CANADA BUT YOU SURE AS HELL NEED ONE TO FLY BACK INTO THE U.S. You can thank Bush Jr. and Homeland Security for that!(BTW, did you know that Bush Jr. had never possessed a passport when he became president, but I digress). In fact, almost 75% of US citizens do not have a passport(they don't travel outside of their own counties, let alone the country) because they think its a hassle to get one but it isn't. Historically, Canadians are big travellers so having a passport is of second nature.

I'd like to run a straw poll here. How many of you currently have a valid U.S.Passport??
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 08-31-2012 at 09:33 PM.

How many of you currently have a valid U.S.Passport??
    Count me as a 'yes'.
    Unfortunately in science what you believe is irrelevant.

"I'm an old-fashioned Southern Gentleman. Which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-***** when I want to be."- Robert A. Heinlein.

My diplomatic passport ran out sometme in 71 or 72. Never bothered to get another one.
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Ok guys, this thread took a turn somewhere along the line and developed into a discussion about Canada's laws. It is NOT Canada that is the problem it is our good ol US of A!!! I could get into Canada easily...it is returning home wherein the problem lies. HS will not allow me to come back into the country (that I originated from) without a medical. Let me restate this...It is OUR government and its rediculous laws that would prevent me from flying to Canada and back.
    Oh, I have a passport.